Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cochinillo Asado - Roast Suckling Pig

Rollocks
Rollocks Posts: 570
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting to roast a whole suckling pig on my XL egg for a while. My local butchers have told me the smallest pig I can get is 20-30 lbs.

I think this would be too big for an XL egg.

Recipes I've seen suggest that sucklings can be as small as 6 lbs but usually come in between 10-18 lbs.

JunkyardPerro had a post earlier this year in which he had pictures of a 11.5 lb suckling on what appears to be a large egg.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=422988&catid=1#

What is the largest do you think I could fit on an XL egg?

Comments

• Rollocks
    I just spoke to a butcher who told me that the 20-30 lb weight is the weight of the pig prior to being processed. So now I'm wondering if the 11.5 suckling that JunkyardPerro used is the weight before or after being processed.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Have him/her 1/4 the beast. That would make it manageable and still a good presentation.
    E
  • Rollocks
    I considered that, but I'd like to go for the whole pig look. A friend suggested i buy a live one and bring it home, slaughter it and dress it myself.

While my wife may be a hockey mom, she isn't into field dressing an animal. My kids though may enjoy chasing it around the yard for a day or two.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    I smoked a whole hog of about 26 lbs but cut it in half so it would fit in the Large I own. It was a feral hog and wanted it cooked hard so I put it on at 1800hrs and took it off at 0200hrs. I cooked it at 250 with water in the drip pan. It was pulled off the bone, mixed with hot sauce and a little BBQ sauce. Then served on hamburger buns. There was nothing left over.