Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Pot on Craigs list

Options
bmlove
bmlove Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is this a good deal? I have a LBGE and was thinking why not add to my collection.
Found on Craigs list - "Large" 18" Diameter #5 Japanese Kamado Pot (similar to the Big Green Egg)
louvered vent cap, on wheels for easy movement. Excellent Condition. Brought back from Japan in 1971. $200.00"

Picture look like it has been restored or at least kept up very good.

Advise?

tks

Comments

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    do eggseccories fit the lomodo or will you have to buy new platesetter, stone, etc?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • bmlove
    Options
    Some pictures of the Kamado on craigs list

kamodo.jpg

another

kamado3.jpg

and another

kamado2.jpg
  • bmlove
    Options
    BoneDaddy,

I don't know. Fellow egger's can you help out here.

tks
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    They weren't that color. Mine was a speckled green-orange. You'd have to check it over to see if it was rebuilt at some time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I was in an Air National Guard transport squadron back in the late 60's & early 70's. The primary mission at that time was flying supplies to support the war in Viet Nam. Apparently, once they unloaded, it was the custom to load the plane with all kinds of goodies from the Orient. This would include everything from stereo equipment to something that sounded rather primitive in nature... ceramic cookers that one would use on the patio like a barbecue! It would be years before I came to learn that those cooker/smokers were being sold stateside and known as Big Green Eggs!
  • bmlove
    Options
    Rascal,

I hear ya, I was in Japan in the mid 60's and had one of these on my back patio - used to bbq on it regularly. Didn't learn about BGE until 5-6 years ago, my son had 1, then 2, now 3 :) I finally got my first one few month ago...and I love it. Thinking about this one for 'ole times sake' know I won't be able to do hi heat but think it would be fun to use again.

Just wondering about the price...and suspect it has been repainted.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I'm still using mine. In fact it is the only egg I have. In spite of the age and repairs it still cooks and smokes great. Highest I go now is 450*. Don't want to burn it out again.
  • bmlove
    Options
    Vern (Old Salt) Thanks for that tip..I was thinking about using it for low n slow only, or nothing above 350 degrees. Have an appointment to look at it this evening. If in good shape, for $200 is a good investment and have another full size cooker :)

tks
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Seems a little pricey to me. Although a sentimental value associated with it might make it worth it.
    I would offer $130-150.
  • bmlove
    Options
    Thanks Baccus - That's what I needed, was some input on prices. Not familiar with the old used ones at all. Think I will go to 160 if I can't get him lower. :)

tks all