Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie in Nixa...HELP!

Options
mookie
mookie Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a medium egg from someone on Craigslist. Wanted the large, but just couldn't afford it. This one is brand new, but comes with NO accessories. No stand, egg mates,nada. My hubby is oblivious to my purchase and I really don't want to draw attention to it. He's had a few distractions of his own (dealing with cancer, back in college, etc.) and he's not the type to build me a table. (darn!) So, I am so excited to start cooking with my new egg, and need help and suggestions regarding accessories. I have to keep things at the bare minimum, since financially...well let's just say that buying an egg may not have been my wisest purchase! :whistle: Any ways to find discounted accessories? What are the must haves?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    If you're strapped for cash, you can improvise pretty much what you need. The one thing the Egg does extremely well is indirect cooking. For that, folks usually buy a plate setter or other similar rig, but you can get by with using other things to block the direct heat from the lump.

If you don't have one, I'd recommend getting a dome thermometer, preferably a Tel-Tru. There's no substitute for good instrumentation.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hey!
    Click on this link for extensive help..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

I would buy the plate setter for the egg for sure. And use the little green feet to put the egg on unless it is going on a deck then you will have to take some additional steps :woohoo:

The egg has been my single best Purchase uh hum multiple purchase :blush: Seriously, no regrets B)
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I used the BGE for several years with just a little more than what you have.

You didn't say where you were putting it, but a piece of flagstone and the green Egg feet are generally sufficient for placement on any surface.

You need a dome thermometer. If you have one, check it for calibration by putting the sensor end in boiling water. If you don't have one, a Tru-Tel is one of the best, and still affordable.

A remote reading digital food thermometer is a great asset. You can get a Polder (sp) from Ace Hardware, WalMart, etc. Push the temp probe in what you are cooking, run the wire out between the dome and base, and place the base unit on a small table. This allows you to know with a glance, the internal temp of your food.

As it sits, you have a fine grill. If you want to roast, bake, or BBQ, you'll need something to block the direct heat from the lump (coal).
    The plate setter is the simplest way to do this.
    You can also use firebricks, drip pans, etc.

Lastly, ASK Questions! The more specific, the better the answers you’ll receive.
    Michael B.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I would third the motion for a plate setter as the one thing you cannot egg without. Additionally, a good pair of leather gloves to handle everything in the egg when hot (I recycled my old Harley gloves or you could use any pair of garden gloves that a friend may mail to you), a raised grid (you can build one very cheap from parts at Home Depot) and, of course, a mascot (I rescued "Zippy the Pig" from a neighbor's trash):

007.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

piggy2.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should get an Ash tool.

Leather gloves or if you want, Welders gloves, are real good for handling hot stuff or working over a hot grill and I got mine at Home Depot for $15.

stand the Egg on 3 little Egg feet on top of any kind of paving stone.

Use the paper towel& vegetable (NOT Canola) oil method for starting your fires.

Build yourself (yes YOU) a raised grid. Purchase a weber 18" replacement grid and (3) 3/8" x 4.5" carriage bolts with (3) nuts and washers for each.
    08-22.jpg
    Zinc plated bolts are fine, some people here warn not to use them (it's an argument that never goes away)because when you boil zinc it gives off a noxious gas- but you won't be getting hot enough to boil the zinc on the bolts.

Instead of a $40 platesetter you can use Firebrick Splits. they are inexpensive and can be purchased at a local masonry supply or Ace hardware.
    two is probably enough to get you started. lay them flat on your grid and then put your raised grid over that to cook on. this will give you an indirect cook.

You can buy remote thermometers fairly inexpensively. From $10 end-of-season closeouts on up. They say you shouldn't be using these for cooks over 400*. I find I use mine for two things- overnight lo and slo cooks and roasts (which are usually at around 400). The overnight cooks need the remote thermo with two probes that monitors grate/pit temp as well as meat. A lot of us use the Maverick ET-73.

hope this helps.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Regarding a stand, etc. You definately can just set it on the green fit(hopefully it came with them). To raise the height a little (and help your back from bending over) you can set the feet on fire bricks or pavers.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    For a medium you would need a 15" grid not a 18".
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Ya beat me to it Vern....LOL

Rick

All great ideas and when you do some great cooks for the hubby, it will be OK...to buy that egg.

Rick
  • mookie
    Options
    Wow...that's so cute that you think I can build things! Thanks for all the help, though...
  • mookie
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for all the help! This is like learning a new language...firebricks? pavers?

Oh, and my egg is sitting on my wood deck, so I guess I need to put something underneath it, huh?

I will keep you posted when I finally start using my baby...I've got to get the lump charcoal and something to put underneath my egg...then watch the dvd...laugh, if you will, but this is a rather daunting task for one such as I! Hopefully, have egg, will conquer! Oh, and btw, if some friend just happens to send me gloves in the mail, I just don't know what I'll do!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh, and my egg is sitting on my wood deck, so I guess I need to put something underneath it, huh?

Seriously, a stone paver and the (3) BGE feet. If it didn't come with the feet, get some at your nearest Egg dealer or online. The paver should be 18" x 18" x more than 1" thick.

The slight air gap afforded by the feet will keep the heat from transferring directly through the stone to your deck. Also, the stone will be less likely to crack. If you don't have a stone you could buy 8 more firebrick and just lay them flat to create a "pad" for the Egg. The only problem is they will move around over time because your deck deflects (bounces) slightly through normal use (people walking).

Yes, I think you will be able to build your own raised grid. Impress your friends and amaze your family! Go with the 15" size( thanks to Old Salt for the correction!) and you'll be good. You use 3 legs because it will always be stable that way. Tripods never wobble but any furniture with four legs might.

Also, as far as Lump goes, I use Cowboy and/or Royal Oak which I get for $12/ 20lb bag. If you get R.O., look on the bag to make sure it says "Made in America" rather than "Product of Argentina" (or any other South American country). The South American lump is to be avoided! it is often on sale and is not good. Shoots off sparks like crazy!

Good luck and let the fun begin!