Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Review: BGE Tasting Dinner, Charleston

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thursday night saw the latest in a series of sold-out BGE tasting dinners/grilling classes at a gourmet butcher shop in Charleston, Ted's Butcher Block.

These start after the shop closes at 7, and this one lasted for two hours with three tasting courses offered and a choice of red, white, or beer for $25. It's an interesting mix of BGE practice and an intro to butchery. Ted is a third-generation butcher who loves the Egg but does not sell them; he shrugs and says, "I just cut meat." He was ably assisted by four sous-chefs (sous-bouchers?) and the meal was prepared primarily on a single XL BGE. The 30 souls attending were a mix of experienced Eggers to new buyers to never-heard-of-an-Egg-but-wanted-something-to-do-tonight types.

The courses were beef brisket, BBQ pizza, and grilled scallops with jerk rub. I understand earlier this year they did a dinner where Ted prepared a single lamb using various methods.

It was very cool to have a meat expert stand in front of us and talk about how he trimmed down primals to get particular cuts (nothing like pulling out a whole brisket on a tray to explain the flat vs. the point, for example). He uses his XL BGE every day to cook a catering and lunch menu that's a popular adjunct to the butcher shop, and he also has a large BGE. He said he's burned through a lot of gaskets. He uses very few accessories and gadgets (tongs and a pizza stone were about it; I noticed that even his dome thermometer was broken). The evening was more about the meat and Ted's techniques than about Eggs per se. He welcomed questions and the evening had a conversational quality.

Ted uses some approaches that are quite different from forum members here. He doesn't cook to specific internal temperatures unless it's a fast-cook steak, and even then he doesn't use a thermometer (but has no issue with others using one). He has what I might call a Crock-Pot theory of brisket, saying that as long as the temperature is controlled it's hard to overcook it. His theory of rubs is that any rub that involves 1/3 sweet ingredients, 1/3 salt, and 1/3 savory ingredients will probably work just fine if it stays on the meat for six hours or more. Ted does sell a house rub with ingredients kept secret (tasted like lots of brown sugar, thyme and paprika to me, but he said it had about 20 ingredients). He says to marinate only those things that don't have much natural flavor (e.g., chicken). He brines anything that will get long smoking unless (like a brisket) it's very fatty. He likes apple and alder woods for most all smoking, hickory he reserves for pork, mesquite maybe never but possibly in small amounts for beef. For steaks, he builds a two-zone fire and uses tongs to spin the cooking grate around after sear and let the steaks come gradually to finish temperature on the cooler side. For flakey fishes like swordfish, salmon and tuna, cook like steak; otherwise, use a fish basket. He thinks organic beef is overrated (the word is not strictly enough defined) and thinks grass-fed beef is fine but the flavor comes from the "finishing" feed in the final six months of the animal's life; he prefers grain-finished animals provided that not just corn is used. He sells wagyu and says it is markedly different in flavor because it's a different breed with excellent marbling, but it's up to you whether you think it's worth it (true kobe even more so).

Of interest to the more experienced Eggers attending was that Ted removes his fire grate, loads charcoal, and then puts the fire grate on top of the charcoal to act as a diffuser for low-and-slow cooks. He seemed quite relaxed about cooking times, saying that if you run out of charcoal after six hours at 230-240 dome, just pull the meat, reload and restart. Just shoot for at least 16 hours cooking and you'll be fine, seemed to be his philosophy. I did wonder to myself whether if he loaded his Egg right he might have his charcoal last for a full cook, but this was Ted's show. The brisket was moist, quite peppery with a firm bark and he had a sous-chef demo a pan sauce to finish. This sauce was made from coffee, chocolate stout, cinnamon and cocoa with a pinch of cayenne, seasoned to taste and thickened with cornstarch slurry. Served as two slices of brisket with sauce, and cold potato salad.

Second course was pulled pork BBQ pizza. Ted uses a standard yeast dough recipe, makes 6" crusts, and half-cooks the "empty" crusts on a preheated pizza stone set on a plate setter. Time is a couple of minutes per side, one flip with tongs after the crust bubbles up, and it comes off looking like naan (flatbread). He suggests this approach to catering, so that your party guests can select their own pizza toppings and return the loaded crust to the Egg for finishing. His choice for us was pulled pork with slivered onions, BBQ sauce, and mozzarella with a sprinkle of cheddar. Each of us got an ample six-inch pizza, cut into quarters for easy eating. Ted was right, this would be great party food.

Third course was grilled scallops with a jerk rub, cooked direct and served with a julienne of zucchini and summer squash and carrots. I thought this was probably the weakest of the three, as the Egg didn't seem to have enough heat left for a good sear and the jerk overwhelmed the fresh scallops. Again, a generous tasting, with four scallops per person atop the veggies.

In summary, it was a good evening for anyone wondering what you can make with an Egg. Toss in a glass or two of libation, three ample tasting plates, and a couple of hours with a well-spoken meat expert and it's a good value for $25. The networking was enjoyable, and learning about local dealer service from real customers was valuable. For example, IMHO the couple next to me struggling with temp control on their first few cooks was suffering from a dealer mis-assembled Egg.

Yes, I would pay to return depending on the menu. ;)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thank you very much for this. Wow, nice night....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    The Egg dealer we had in Englewood FL did this weekly with a local chef. It was a nice night out and learned a lot, but they have closed and we won't get to do it this winter. I will miss it as it was our dinner out! LOL there are a lot of place to eat out down there compared to here in Maine, we have pizza, Chinese and more pizza and if you don't want that you can have pizza.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Oh, but you have an egg... Gormet meals every nite. However you will have to eat in. Not so bad...no parking issues, o the woes of wait people, no tipping. I would rather eat at your table..who knows what goes on in the kitchens of the cafes, restraunts ? Your food is cooked with an extra doodad that you will not get by eating out. T L C that makes all food better. We should tip just for that.I'll take your egged food over their food any day. I bet your Mainegg food is superior. Miles out.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Nice post! It sounds great. I know a couple of restaurants in Boston that would charge $95 for that menu/lesson and would sell out.

I have one question. He puts the lump in the bottom of the egg and then puts the fire grate on top. Does he put a few big pieces of lump at the very bottom to get proper air flow? Does he even worry about that? (Ok, that's 2 questions.) I'd think this could be done in a large since there is a good sized space at the bottom of the egg.

Great detail in your description. Thanks.

Paul
  • Ike Witt
    Options
    Thanks Dave, informative read.

best
    allen
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to detail your experience. I usually give up on long posts after the first paragraph but your descriptions had me hooked to the end.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Essex, thanks for your kind remarks. We are a food-crazed city and have at least four cooking "schools" here in Charleston that do paid demos/classes for the public. The local going rate for such one-off commercial cooking classes/demos is $35-75, so yes, it was a good value by local standards as well as the higher prices you cite in Boston.

As far as your question about loading, I did not get to see how Ted arranges charcoal. I did note that he runs full open on lower "flue" ( his word) which means it's not surprising that his charcoal burns fast. He adjusts airflow on bottom and fine-tunes + the last 25º with the daisy. His said his lighting technique was a paper towel soaked with vegetable oil, but this was well before we arrived so I have no other details to share.

It may be that the fire grate on top technique is born of necessity. His fire grate on the large was broken into two pieces and required some coaxing even to sit flat above the coals.

Part of the charm of the place is just Ted. His joint has flava. He's got pictures on the walls of his parents and grandparents fresh from Poland. The staff is relentlessly helpful, and he has good wines and beers and specialty food magazines. Not to over-romanticize, but one gets a sense of a hard-working small businessperson doing something real, as opposed to the average white-collar guy pushing paper around inside a glass tower. Ted has a $20 take-home fried chicken dinner, and a couple of deli items that feature school colors for the local colleges (Clemson, Carolina). Also, his Wagyu roast beef sandwich is an absolutely killer lunch. If you're in Charleston, it's well worth stopping by.