Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'll Be Buckboarding Next Weekend

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC06139JPGa.jpg

I can't think of anything better to do with this bad boy.
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• For what it is worth. The left side is the loin side. Lean close to the hind leg. The right side the rib side closest to the butt front of hog. Rib side with the bone in it is counrtry style ribs. Loind side is blns sirloin chops or bone in sirloin chops.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    have fun! i need to get myself some time to try some out soon! i still have not tried the box of buckboard curing stuff. will have to get some reading on your site and get started soon!!
    hope you will post the end product.
  • thirdeye
    porkloinAAB.jpg
    AAB photo

Yep, the rib end is my favorite. When buckboarded you get a color change on each muscle.

PS, in my neck of the woods country ribs are slices of butt, not the bone-in loin strips....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    You need to try a butt and loin to compare. You will need to start the butt 3 or 4 days earlier if you do.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Looks like you will have your hands full with that chunk. Just added the cure for my first butt and sitting in the fridg. I have to wait ten days for this? I'm sure it's well worth it...lol. It's been in there for four hours now and the liquid is flowing. Wish me luck.
  • thirdeye
    You will be blown out at how good it is. Hope to see pictures.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• I sure will. Thanks for your input
  • I will be doing this buckboard thing one of these days in the near future. This looks like fun and thanks for the great website.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Ok, dumb question...what is buckboarding? I've seen something like that at Costco and wondered what to do with that much pork.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    There is always Mr Toads pork loin. :woohoo:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    You are going to love it! Do several!
    DSCI0013.jpg

This is my favorite thing to do with it! Eggs Benedict!
    DSCI0009-7.jpg
  • I've done three batches so far. The first batch was a butt and a loin. I cured ten days on the first batch and found it on the salty side. The second and third batches were just loins and I cured 7 days - just right. Each batch was 7-8 pounds total. Not sure if 7 days or 10 days made that much difference - I suspect I could have rinsed and soaked a little more on the 1st batch. After removing from cure and initial rinsing, I soaked the loin for 30 minutes and then rinsed. I repeated this 3 times and one final rinsing before going on the Egg. Good luck with it.

Headed to the fridge to make a BBB sammy to take fishing this morning - first trip since Gustav.
  • Man!! Mightyfine lookin Eggs Benedict Big'un.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    I see in the pic the loin is from Farmland is it enhanced in salt solution. I usually buy mine from Sam's where it is choice grade no solution
    Gerry
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Bought a loin yesterday and just ordered the cure from Hi Mtn....thanks to your site. Can't wait to try it for B) the first time!
  • thirdeye
    DSC06140JPGa.jpg

I see in the pic the loin is from Farmland is it enhanced in salt solution. I usually buy mine from Sam's where it is choice grade no solution

Gerry

Yep that's where I get mine too. No mention of enhancements on the label, and it's in the original cryo. Farmland calls their juiced pork "Extra Tender" or something like that. (Hormel is the one getting sneaky with the fine print on their labels).

BTW, pork is not given USDA grades like beef, veal and lamb. If they are telling you it's choice pork, they are blowing smoke.

On a side note, the Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling (mCOOL) program goes into effect next year and Smithfield currently intends to procure only hogs born and raised in the U.S. for processing at its U.S. fresh meat facilities and will label fresh pork for retail as born, raised and processed in the USA.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• I'm sure that loin will make some fine bacon.

I just discovered that we've eaten all of the last batch I made. So I'm due to make some more as well. Do you use the same High Mountain cure that you use for butts?
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • I finally took the time to look at your fire and smoke page in detail last night. I looked at several recipes. WOW, you have a very impressive collection of recipes/information. I can't wait to make some of that buckboard, had never heard of it before. The pictures make me want to chew on my monitor.
  • thirdeye
    Yep, same cure and same amount per pound of meat. I shorten the cure time to 6 days. I like a soak of 4 or 5 hours and a refrigerated (equalizing) rest of 6 to 8 hours before smoking. My current favorite wood is sugar maple that I got in a trade, but I also like a mix of apple and cherry.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Thanks for the kind words. Several recipes come from Guest Pit Bosses, it's an invitation only kind of thing and so far I've gotten some real good ones. I have a rice recipe ready to publish any day. It uses bacon or other smoked meats and is similar to fried rice.

I'm not sure where you live or if you have access to HiMountain, but if you strike out let me know. I can get it cheaper than their website. I also make several trips to the PO each week to ship my grid lifters, so that's no problem either.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• I live in the Quad Cities, Illinois Side. I will start to look around for it and see what I come up with. Thank you for the offer. If I can't find it I will email you through your profile.
  • thirdeye
    You might call one of the large sporting stores like Bass Pro Shop or Sportsmans Warehouse. My spam filter does not like e-mail through the forum, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Wayne when you post he rice recipe please make an announcement post, I sure want to take a look at it.

Thank you for your help and instruction.

Kent
  • Just wondering as the Illinois deer season is just around the corner, how would this work with venison? The deer in my area feed on corn so they aren't quite as gamy as some, and I have 2 permits for the upcoming season.
  • thirdeye
    The only downside I could think of would be the lean-ness of venison, but lightly frying the cured meat in butter could offset that. Might be a unique breakfast treat.

DSC04953h.jpg

I can say that HiMountain makes some killer jerky cures (that is their primary business) and a lot of my hunting buddies use it on deer and elk jerky. I've used it on all my jerky for years.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Thanks Boxerpapa. I can see why the interest. I put it on my list of things to try.