Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GASKET UPDATE - no adhesive on replacement!

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yup, there's no adhesive or tape or anything on the replacement gasket I received from Atlanta. Bruce was very kind to send the gasket length for XL, since I did not specify which size cooker I was trying to fix until after they mailed out the replacement. Now, I've gotta find some acetone and Super 77 spray :)

Grandpas Grub et al, here are the shots of the new gasket roll:
IMG_2578.jpg
IMG_2580.jpg

See? Sans adhesive :) It looks like a big white roll of felt. I hope that I can install it correctly and cure it before the weekend. I'll have the final shots after I can find those little plastic thingys which hold the spring bands shut...

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Ya might want to try some of this stuff.
    3Madhesiveforgasket0001.jpg
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    bonne chance....fidel has a silicone that holds real good. maybe he will tune in and let you know wich one it is.
  • Clay Q
    I believe he used RTV high temp silicone rated to 600*.
  • Hi Clay. Do you know what the differences are in the specs between the Super 77 and the Hi-Strength 90? The Super 77 worked very well for me.

Beanie should be in great shape. Glad corporate ditched the adhesive. Mark
  • Stupid question but isn't it tough to spray this stuff on the egg or the gasket without making a huge mess.

Appreciate any comment.
  • Messy really isn't the right word, but containing the overspray is critical. The EGG should be masked very well and everything within several feet covered with a plastic dropcloth or something else or you will end up with a sticky film on everything that attracts dirt and dust and ash like a magnet.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    ...which is exactly why I'm leaning toward using HT silicone when I jump to Nomex.
  • Clay Q
    Went to the 3M site, all they say is that 90 is stonger adhesive. On the can directions for extra strong bonds; Double coat both surfaces, let dry 2 to 5 minutes and then bond.
    It's another product out there as an option to the 77.
    Might work better....might not, I don't know.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I had this site book marked and assume I got it from this forum. Anyone here tried, or know of it?
  • Thanks for the update Mike. I really appreciate it.

Looking forward to the results and further 'see how it works' part.

Kent
  • Guys

I am a little purplexd about 3M super 77 is only rated to 110*F. Why are we using if that is the highest temp rating?? JD

See below!

Mfr. Model # SUPER 77

Item Super 77
    Size (Oz.) 24 Oz.
    Net Weight (Oz.) 16.50
    Temp. Range (F) 0 to 110
    Application Time 15 Min./30 Min.
    Substrates Paper, Felt, Nylon, Fabric, Wood, ABS, PVC
    Application Variety of Jobs in Display, Point-of-purchase, Furniture and Construction, Bonds Thin, Decorative Films, Foils and Fabrics, Attaches Insulation to Sheet Metal, Wire Diagrams and Labels, Bonds Gaskets in Water Pumps
    Characteristics High Coverage, Fast Drying, Transparent
    Standards MMM-A-1055B
  • Why would and adhesive like below work better. And it come in a tube, no over spray.

Superflex® Adhesive
    Makes gaskets and fills gaps to 0.25" between
    parts that are mated. Use to coat precut gaskets
    for increased reliability. Use Blue for general
    purpose gasketing from -65° to 500°F intermittent.
    Use Red for high temperature gasketing
    applications from -75° to 600°F.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    others have shared a great deal of info with you in this thread... alot i did not know...

if you can't find the plastic things that hold the bands shut then use wire ties

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

i have had my nomex on for quite some time... when i first put it on the gasket had gottedn stretched and started pulling away from the egg

gasket021608003.jpg

i scraped it clean and used the super 77 spray... it has been lit and the needle told me the temp inside the egg was beyond the 750 degree mark.. i have not had one problem whatsoever with it.. when i did mine i also had to do two of my friends the adhesive gave way for them also and i used the same repair methoud (super 77) and neither one of them have had a problem with their gasket slipping since....

Clay Q's suggestion sounds like a winner but i am not sure i have ever seen it in one of the stores near me... although to be honest i have never looked either... so if you can find it give Clay's a try but if you can't find it give the super 77 a try if it fails you will be the first i have heard of... that i remember :whistle::blush:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• What temp is the gasket rated for?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    permatex automotive high temp gasket sealer/maker is what i used. copper color tube, the adhesive is red i think.

rated to 600. i don't think the rim of ceramic ever sees that temp. held strong for two years now, no sign of slipping or loosening, and I DID NOT PREP THE SURFACE AT ALL. i squirted a line of it around the rim without bothering to clean the rim.

pressed the failed gasket back onto it.

no issues since
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hey Stike

Look at this stuff. It will not dry out like 77 and it is rated for 700*F. Has 75% of the holding of 77, and a lot more temp tolerant. Come in a 3 oz. tube and list for $2.21 from Grainger.

Pro-Seal
    Red high
    temperature formula replaces most precut
    gaskets and coats preformed gaskets for a reliable
    seal on exhaust manifolds, timing chain
    covers, and other high temperature applications.
    Cures to a flexible silicone rubber and resists
    cracking and shrinking. All colored formulas are
    low volatility, will not foul oxygen sensors, and
    resist oil, transmission fluid, water, and
    antifreeze.
    Temperature Range: -80 to 700°F Red 3.0 Oz. Tube Pro-Seal N80726 1FBH5 2.21
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    I was watching a show on the building race cars the other night and I thought they said that nomex was originally developed for the parachute material used on the returning space capsules in the 60's. It was then adapted for the drivers fire proof suits. Looks like the material has been around a long time.
  • stike
    that's the same type of stuff.

gasket-maker.

one guy here used it to actually MAKE the gasket, rather than glue a fabric gasket down.

he spread it out, put some wax paper on top and shut the upper lid. it molded to the gaps and irregularities.

don't know how it has lasted

here's a link. thought there was pic

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=72583
  • Spoke to Grainger's Tech department and he mention he red silicone but said it would not be as good a the stuff in my last post. He apparently has had some calls about the felt gaskets on the BGE. The Pro-Seal is for sealing gaskets. He conferred with the Mfg.
  • Spoke to Grainger's Tech department and he mention he red silicone but said it would not be as good a the stuff in my last post. He apparently has had some calls about the felt gaskets on the BGE. The Pro-Seal is for sealing gaskets. He conferred with the Mfg.
  • stike
    the specs appear to be the same as the permatex copper (red stuff), for what it's worth.

it is also marketed as a gasket sealer and and a gasket itself.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Stike,
    Just to clarify and to bring together other of your posts under different topics...you used the Permatex automotive high temp gasket sealer/maker to attach your Rutland gasket. Is that correct?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks,

Seems like a great idea. High Temp Silicon, is there a recommendation on a brand for that?
  • B-bean,
    I have to replace mine when I get home. Is there a way for me to order it over the net without calling the mother ship? How much did it cost?
  • Rascal,
    What site? I don't see the link. Need to replace my gasket when I get home.
  • Willy,

I called Atlanta and spoke with them about this. All they asked for was my contact info...I forgot to mention the egg size, so he sent me enough to do an XL. There were no charges for any of this, and I received an adhesive-free roll of the good stuff. Even the directions which came with the roll specify using acetone to clean off the old gasket stuff (I don't think I'll have issues pulling it off the cooker...) and to use Super 77 and let it cure for 24 hours.

I'll be taking the good advice of the team here and will move the cooker out to the edge of the yard and mask it off with some newspaper and tape so that I don't put the adhesive where it doesn't belong. Thanks for that tip!

Of course, I'll have the pics of the whole process for everyone, too.

Lay off the chicken feet, Willy :)
  • stike
    yeah

i think it would work fine on the nomex too, though.