Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Food TV Format

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wadda y'all think?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I haven't watched much food network since Football season started, but it has been going downhill for about 6mo-12mo in my opinion.
    D,D,&D isnt bad. Alton Brown is always good, but the "Neeley's?
    What changes did they make recently?
  • Rascal
    Options
    They made major changes to their wqeb site, and not for the better, in my opinion. I agree with you on some of the programming... the Neely's need a love-seat (or perhaps a mattress) on their kitchen set!! 8 - )
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Did they fire Emeril Lagasse and replace him with the blonde guy with the big gold watches? I noticed that Emeril teamed up with Martha on her network. I don't care much for the new Emeril Green show.
  • Rascal
    Options
    I just saw that Guy is going to be doing shows in front of live audiences. I'll miss Emeril but I'm not about to cover half my screen to block out MS! I think that the execs at TFN have pumped their pedestal up too high. Ever try to send them a comment or question? You really gotta want to!!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I really like the Emeril Live show. I think he's a good teacher and a great showman. His corny humor is kind of predictable and I've eaten at two of his restaurants and was surprised to find them only "just OK". The music was good and the audience participation was kinda fun. I guess his popularity was dwindling and they felt that they had to replace him. They sure haven't found anyone as good yet, IMHO.
  • Rascal
    Options
    I agree. He's a kind-hearted guy who really loves what he's doing. I especially love his Fall River, MA "twist" on the English language!! 8 - )
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I agree the Neeley's are kind of lame. Alton Brown is good. I can't think of the show name but where the guy cooks for a thousand people with limited time is horrible in my opinion.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Whatever happened to "Boy Meets Grill" with Flay? That was an awesome show. The only time I see him now is on "Throwdown" which isnt bad, but seeing him work magic on the grill was very good.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I wish they would drop the ads. It makes me wonder if they are having financial problems or what. On avergae they have 2 different banner ads per page and I got at least 3 pop ups for Net Flix.

Ahhh I miss the old school cooking shows days. Julia Child (although we have Max now), Jacques peppin, The Great Chefs series, Jeff Smith (before he went all child molestor), Justin Wilson, Graham Kerr, Yan Can Cook. Life was very good back then.
  • Rascal
    Options
    It's still airing at times... just saw an episode the other day.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I agree, bobby. I used to like them too, and I wasn't even into cooking back then, like I am now. There was another one too...Chef Tel. He had a thick German accent and he always said "Add a little pebba in it"
  • Rascal
    Options
    I totally agree... used to watch them all on PBS. There was also a great Italian chef (Cucina Amore) who was very entertaining. I used to tape many of those shows.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Alton Brown is the king for me because he shows you why you need to do something while cooking and describes the "science" that's going on.

Right now I have to say I'm enjoying Rick Bayless on PBS more than anything on TFN. His show is in high def and the food and places he goes to look outstanding.
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    It seems any time I turn it on that is who I see. Throw down, Iron Chef, Grill It, and Boy meets grill.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    ...and WCKY, Cincinnati OOOOONNNNEEEEE, Ohio!
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Alton Brown is awesome. Wish they would work on more Good Eats episodes than his feasting series though.

And I am SICK of their endless
    Weekend with -
    Vacation with -
    Anything along the $40 a day vane.

Don't really want to watch some rich celebrity get a free vacation. Very tired of Rachel Rae.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Still can see most of them on PBS, they are my favorites too. -RP
  • bitslammer
    Options
    For me the stupid "Food Network Challenge" shows are a waste of space.

They're all "Lets have people build 1/40th scale fragile versions of stuff and watch them break" shows. At least the one with Guy Fiere has every day people making food I would care to make and eat.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    In a word - ugh.

Seems they're wanting more "lifestyle" and entertainment and less cooking. There are a few we watch, like Giada, Ina, Alton of course, and sometimes Tyler and Bobby Flay (if it's a cooking show, not that "Throwdown" nonsense).

Quite a few of the true chefs are now on PBS. I've heard Ming Tsai, Mario Batali, and Sarah Moulton, possibly others.

So who remembers the early days of Food Network with David Rosengarten (Taste), "Ready, Set, Cook", "In Food Today", and the classic "Three Dog Bakery"?

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I agree, I change the channel so quickly on the challenges that I had forgotten about them.
  • Grill With Bill
    Options
    Bobby Flay's best show is still "Grillin' And Chillin'" with Jack McDavid. I have most of them on VHS and watch them now and again.

Bill
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yeah, the older shows on FN were what got me hooked on it, I rarely watch it now. -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Most of the real cooking shows are on during the daytime, and even many of them I can't stand (Paula, Rachael, etc). Even the ones whose food looks good (Giada, Ina), I can't get past the "touchy feely" feel. Too much pausing to smile at the camera and tell stories about your family...just COOK darn it. And nighttime programming is just terrible reality-tv...with the exception of AB, of course.

Even though their production and editing is abit lower than FN, I prefer the PBS shows. I can't wait for Mario's new show about Spain. Sounds like it's going to be similar to Bourdain, or AB's "Feasting On" shows.

Didn't FN just change their website a few months ago? Now another big change?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    martha stewart bought emeril's empire and apparently part of the deal was for him to appear on her show..
    remember emeril was the first cook on food network when it was filmed in an apartment in nyc
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i could not agree more except
    graham kerr [before he got sober and healthy]
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I am a big fan of America's Test Kitchen on PBS.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Chef Tell! I remember he was on TV in the 80's when I lived in Roanoke, VA. I met him at a demonstration and still have his autographed cookbook. You're right, his accent was very strong. Back then his tagline at the end of the show was "I see you!"

Paul
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Good Eats is my favorite since I actually learn something. Sandra Lee is easy on the eyes and her receipes are easy so I watch her show sometimes. I hate the challenge shows. I don't want to just watch somebody cook, I want to learn something. I also don't like the shows that call for hard to find ingredients or too complicated.