Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love those ribs....

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the first cooks on my second large egg, spares 'dry'. Thanks to CarWashMike for your guidance cooking ribs no foil. DP Dizzy Dust, hickory smoke, 5 1/2 hour cook, nice crust, a little crispy on the ends, very moist and tender meat. My cousin says they're the best she eva ate. It's an egg thang. ;)
Eggwegofestvacationnewegg0067.jpg

Comments

• those looks great!

I don't see the plate setter, were these done with direct heat?
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    I did the same yesterday ,I always did 311 but Sunday put on ribs at 8:00 am @ 230 ish temp ,sauce last hor ate at 5:00 ,Next time wpold on;y go 8 hrs ,but were very good ,with almost same as 311

Dave
  • just a clarification plz. You cooked these ribs for 9 hours@!!!!...8am to 5pm ????....
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Those do look great, almost as good s your peals.
  • Clay Q
    The start was 4 hours indirect using a drip pan then 1 1/2 hours direct the raised grid setup.
    What you see is two grids fastened with 4 1/2" stainless bolts, nuts and washers. The lower grid supports the drip pan when I need it.

Wish I had a pic of a rib slice showing the real nice smoke ring inside. Yeah, love those ribs.
    Thanks!
  • Do you cook them direct the entire time or just to finish? They look mighty fine!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Those look great. I never foil my ribs.
  • looks good Clay!

I'm putting ribs on at noon for dinner tonight. My second cook on the egg and my first ribs ever. Will go 3-1-1. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow morning.
  • Clay Q
    Indirect 4 hours 250, 1 1/2 hours direct at 275 is what happened here. Temp jumps up a bit when removing the drip pan. Amazing how the meat stays moist after all that cooking. Finger licking, lip smacking good.
  • Clay Q
    When I got my egg almost 5 years ago I learned about 3-1-1 and I was in heaven. I continue to learn and now I'm going foil-less. One advantage I find without foil is I get a better crust with crispy edges and, I might add, more flavor from the meat and rub. Steaming is great at melting fat and tenderizing meat but it knocks down some of the qualities of what I like in a top notch bbq rib. Also I like skipping the task and dangers of foiling if hot liquid dumps out of a split in the foil onto toes and foot when wearing sandles and blisters the skin with agonizing pain. Don't ask how I know. :pinch:
  • Clay...what hints can you provide about going foil-less. I agree that the foil/steam loses some nice characteristics....but without foil I occasionally get a tougher rib. Timing must be more crucial without foil I would assume. Your hints are appreciated.

Jason
  • Clay Q
    Just thinking.....Start with really good quality ribs, the best you can find, well trimmed of fat, meaty and fresh (date).
    You could try a little water in the drip pan to up the moisture content of the heat during the indirect part of cooking. Direct is for added flavor and crust but the rib will eventually dry out if over grilled. When you flip a rib you can tell it's done by how loose and floppy it is. Another check for tenderness is when a rib end breaks or falls apart with a gentle twist. Give no-foil another try. Carwashmike does a beautiful job without foil, perhaps he has more tips to offer you.
    Good luck!