Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks ~thirdeye~ For the Pastrami Recipe

Options
Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading some recent posts from Eggers who have been very happy with ~thirdeye's~ recipe for pastrami, so I decided to try it for myself.

I followed his directions exactly. A four-pound corned beef brisket was pulled and wrapped in foil after 5 1/2 hours. I maintained it in the foil in a warmed cooler for 1 1/2 hours. Served it to the in-laws. Everyone, including me, thought it was just great.

Thanks again.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Man, that's great to hear. I like to point out that many eggers helped me move my first idea(s) along for turning store bought corned beef into pastrami.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Boy Thirdeye, you're bigger than the mayor around here with your pastrami. I have four of 'em going on this week. Just ordered some curing salt and I'm going to do the buckboard bacon. Suggestions on what cut of meat? I was going to do a butt, then next time I will do a tenderloin.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words......

DSC04851a.jpg

A buckboarded butt is hard to beat, so try one of those for sure. Buckboarding a loin (not a tenderloin) is second on the list, as it resembles a Canadian "bacon" style product. I like to add a pepper blend seasoning before going on the pit.

I would do one of each, side-by-side so you can see which one is right for your taste. If you go this way, time your cure/soak/rest so each one is ready to smoke on the same day.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I thought about doing that, cooking both. Thanks for telling me loin, not tenderloin. I need to make extra for the family.