Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Large Bought Yesterday/25lb. Turkey?/Warranty?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I just picked up my large BGE yesterday. Last Saturday I had dinner at a friends house and he introduced me to it. The Weber is in the driveway, the BGE next to the pool. I have 2 questions. The first is whether a 25lb. turkey will fit in it, and if so, any hints on cooking? Also, the grill grate has 3 small spots where the porcelin is missing. Do I need to send this back to the dealer or manufacturer. Plus, it seems the shipping costs would be more than the cost of the grill grate. Thanks to all who respond. - James Welborn

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    James Welborn,
    Welcome to the BGE community. You will fiind lots of very knowledgable and helpful people here. The grill on my large BGE also had a few bad spots on it. It bothered me at first, but after a little use, I could no longer tell that they were there. If you have a local dealer, I imagine that he would replace it with another if you haven't used it yet.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    James Welborn, I have another idea. Since most of us have found that having two grill grates is nice, why don't you ask your dealer to order a new one to replace the defective one and you will pay him half of the going rate. You get two grills, he is not out very much if anything.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    James Welborn,
    If you do decide to buy a new one, BBQ's Galore carries replacements (at least mine does). [p]As for the turkey, It should fit, just make sure that the thermometer doesn't poke into the bird when you close the lid. You may need to push the thermometer out a ways so only a portion of the tip extends into the egg.[p]I'd cook the bird indirect at 325 degrees until a thermometer stuck into the meat reads whatever temperature you normally decide is the target temp. I think I pull mine when the breast is at 165 degrees. Poultry usually absorbs smoke really really well, so if you haven't cooked a bird on a grill before with smoke, you might want to try using a small amount of smoke or none at all and let the the charcoal provide what smoke flavor it can. If you love smoke, then smoke away! I did 2 breasts a couple of weeks ago with full smoke, and they turned out wonderful.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz