Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

500 DEGREE Chicken?

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on doing this tonight. Could somebody help me out with the setup please.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Old Salt
    Options
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    indirect, set chicken high in the dome. Where are you? Your work said you left.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    So where are you buying these genetically altered Super Chickens????? :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this guy should be able to help
    http://www.subservientchicken.com/
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i do it plate setter feet up with grid on top, then a good pan (in this case tin lined copper at 450 degrees cause the tin will melt at anything higher, but you can use cast iron at 500 degrees). .chicken sitting on a stand. .. chicken is cold with melted butter brushed all over it so it has a 'glaze' of butter on it, then simple salt and pepper in the french style. . .. once its in the egg after about 30 minutes start taking a spoon every 15 minutes and scooping up the accumulated fat/butter from the pan and drizzling it back over the bird .... that skin will be as crispy as thin potatoe chips when its done. ..when you're finished use the butter/fat in the pan to make a nice little pan sauce wiht some shrooms and chicken stock and little white wine and some more butter. .yummy. ..

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

if you really want to go native, whip up a nice souffle to go with it :P

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    hahahahhahahahhahahahahha ROFLMAO
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    So where are you buying these genetically altered Super Chickens????? :laugh:

That's what I was wondering. That is one big chicken.... :lol::lol:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Todd,

I had to come home to meet the new HVAC guy. I told them to page your number and I would call you back. Did you leave it with them?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    fishlessman,

Uh, 500* chicken :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Max,

Thanks and beautiful pics but I'm cooking a 500lb. chicken. I dont think the platesetter will fit. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. ..just cause i'm the only one around here that actually knew what you meant!! . . .
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Indirect chick face down.

IMG_0001.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Max seriously.

It took me some time to figure out what was so funny.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    that explains alot, after reading biguns response i thought maybe you hit the bar for a liquid lunch and never made it back to work :woohoo: how to cook a 500 pound purple chicken
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Options
    I emailed them to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    500 degree chicken is one of the easiest cooks I've done. Never did it like max but never got skin as crispy as he says either so I will try it his way.

The way I've done it is indirect, 6lb chicken on a vertical stand in a disposable 9" metal pie plate. No raised grid, just the regular one.

temp stabilized at 500, add chicken, walk away, come back in about 50 minutes.

I may check it as early as 50 minutes or wait until the full hour. it depends on what I feel like that day and if the bird is a little smaller or larger.

I take it off at 185+ in the thigh.

often the skin gets a little black at the part closest to the chimney.
    Chicken's always good but I have yet to get good skin on a chicken on the Egg.
    SloChicken.jpg
    this was done at 500. I foiled the taters so they wouldn't burn. this was going direct at the end to try to crisp up the skin.

Last time I did a chicken laying down on the grill at about 450 and it came ut better. I think Max's method will give me the skin I want!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Todd,

I'll call you tomorrow. Don't get work e-mail at home.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Little Steven, I am doing one of these tonight as well. Just lit the small.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    If you want to try it, the degree sign (°) is constructed by using Alt+0176. On the number keypad, key in 0176 while holding down the "alt" key. If you're using a laptop, you have to hold down the "Fn" key at the same time you hold down the Alt key, so your number keys will be active. The blue ones where "u" "i" and "o" are. Also, make sure the "Num Lk" key is active. 500° Chicken.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Not working for me on my desktop. Thanks anyway.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    With a regular keyboard, you don't need to use the "Fn" key. Also, it should work if you use only your number keypad with the "Alt" key. Did you try that?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a chicken in a garter belt? w/t/f?

you need to get out more!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    stike,

He was right there with it too. Kinda like he had it ...real handy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charleston Dave
    Options
    Max, I gotta say I'm impressed with doing a cheese souffle on your Egg. Nice job!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    DynaGreaseball wrote:
    If you want to try it, the degree sign (°) is constructed by using Alt+0176. On the number keypad, key in 0176 while holding down the "alt" key. If you're using a laptop, you have to hold down the "Fn" key at the same time you hold down the Alt key, so your number keys will be active. The blue ones where "u" "i" and "o" are. Also, make sure the "Num Lk" key is active. 500° Chicken.

Gracious...on a Mac, to get a º sign, just press the option key and the 0 key at the same time. See, the zero and a º sorta look alike, so it's easy to remember.

I swear I don't know how you PC guys remember all that stuff.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    That's just too simple!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    do em all the time. ...with a clean burning egg, they get a wonderful 'rustic' flavor to them. ...remember, in old europe (think prior to the 50s) all stoves/ovens were either coal or wood fired. . ..so the egg probably makes a souffle taste the way it was really intended to taste. ..that particular one comes from a recipe in jacque pepen's book "the apprentice" where he talks about learning to cook in france in the 40s in coal fired ovens. ..
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Ah, nostalgia...

I can't claim to remember French cooking "prior to the 50s," but I am a huge fan of Jacques Pepin. I thought his televised cooking classes with Julia Child (Julia & Jacques Cooking in the Home, re-released to celebrate her 90th in 2002) were possibly the best cooking show ever filmed. I loved it when they would get into friendly disputes about cooking methods! They just had such a marvelous, affectionate chemistry.

My cookbook collection already has some of Jacques' writing. He was also a fixture on one of the first competitive cooking shows, Ready Set Cook back in the toddler days of The Food Network. It was something like Iron Chef, but less hokey and a lot more fun. He's currently a dean at the French Culinary Institute in NYC.

So I thank you for that suggestion and I will add it to my list of books-by-cooks that I need to acquire!