Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22 Hours at 225!!!

BlueHorseShoe
BlueHorseShoe Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry no pics. Just for conversation and comparison. It took 22 hours at 225 for an 8lb butt to reach 190. I bumped up the temp to 240 for the final couple of hours. I could not wait any longer! Butts have a mind of there own!

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    That seems to be a lot of time for an 8lbs pork butt.
    Have you checked your thermometer to see if it is calibrated? If you had 225 in the dome, you were more than likely 190-200 at the grate. I bet it was juicey.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Sometime they take a while, and sometimes they are "turbo buts". Hope it was great!
  • Temp was monitored with a very reliable BBG GURU. I was 225 all the way.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i did all my butts at 225 for the first 5 or 6 of them. it was pretty cool to be able to dial in a cooker like that.

...but i never could come up with a reason for making myself wait so long.

i now go at 250. it's about 220-225 at the grate. goes MUCH quicker.

if you are at 225 dome temp, that means you are at 200 or so at the grate. and god forbid that you want to wait til the butt hits 195/200. it'll take forever and a day.

if it is a mack-daddy smoke ring you are after, put the butt on cold, and the temp at 225 or so for the first few hours. the smoke ring (if the smoke is good) will be nice and deep.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • If you set the dome at 225 you put the cooking surface at 195. Yep it will take 20+ hours to get to temp.

Bump the temp up to 250 from the get-go and get to eating sooner.

The times we give of 1-2 hours per pound at based on the 250 dome temp. Cookers like the big pits or pellet cookers measure grate temp so they often quote 220 degs. Which on a domed cooker with the thermometer is in the dome, like the BGE, that works out to be 240-250.

There is no reason a 8 pound butt should be cooked 20+ hours.. unless you like being teased that long..
  • How did you keep the temp up without reloading charcoal ?
    I tried to do 2 butt roasts today and my charcoal went out after 6 hours, it is a pain to take out everything and reload the charcoal.