Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to burn for a good clean out?

Options
guyco
guyco Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:huh: As I posted earlier, it's been a year since we did a clean burn. How long do most of you let your egg burn and do you put the metal damper on the top, or leave it off? I have the metal damper in my self cleaning oven now running a clean cycle. Since we are in the Saturday egg cleaning mood can use all the advice out there. Should we take the felt off before the burn this time? It seems to be really greasy. Need advice from you seasoned eggheads....

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Last time I did one I filled the egg about 1/3 with lump and let it go until the fire was out. It got to 800 for 2 hours or so and the fire went out. Be careful, my gasket is well adhered and it even wanted to hold a bit. I opened the egg 2-3 times as it was cooling down to keep it from sealing shut.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Any one with a before and after pic of a cleaning burn? Julie
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    I would like to see those pictures as well, if anyone has any.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I do 500-600 for 1 to 2 hrs depending on how bad it is..imho higher temps wont clean that much more off and you run a high risk of gasket issues..I put my daisy wheel on my grate right in the egg.. you're wasting all that electricity cleaning it in your oven! :blink: ..clean it while you clean the egg ;) then after cool down use some balled up foil to 'sand' the inside of the dome and the sides of the pit to knock off any loose burnt creosote...I then remove any lump that is left and vacuum out the inside...sorry never took any before/after cleaning pix...
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Before the burn
    002.jpg

After the burn
    001.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Thanx Gene, I can see a big difference there. I had a lot of gunky stuff in mine this morning when I lit it for the turkey and let it go for awhile and scrubbed it with tin foil. that is another great tip for newbies or even oldies LOL that works like a dream and then you TOSS it. no gunky tool in site! :cheer:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You can see in the after burn pic, I rubbed with foil.

I had to burn off mine because I wanted to do a couple of test bakes for the eggfest. I was doing jalapeno cornbread and it had a bad after taste of smoke because of the grease build up. The after picture is even after 2 more test bakes and things were so much better.
  • guyco
    guyco Posts: 12
    Options
    I was told by the "Egg Store" that the felt gasket needs replacing yearly. Mine seems to get really "gunked" up.....So today when I burned it out, it pegged for about 2 hours and then cooled down. I used the foil as someone suggested between the lid and the base and as it was cooling used a putty knife and was able to get it open. Totally scraped what was left of the foil, tarry stuff and I plan to clean it with acetone later when it's completely cool and put the new gasket on. :P :P
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    My gaskets are 3 years old and holding well (burnt but holding with no leaks)

I am not sure about replacing gaskets that often.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    My gasket is over 3 years old and it is holding up well. It is a little burnt from high temps when making pizza's but it is working good. I would only change it when absolutely necessary.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    agreed. I looked at the nomax gaskets last time I was in Atlanta and figured thehassle was too great. I will get one when leaks appear.