Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brines ....... How good are your taste buds?

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to hear some honest opinions here, since we have turkey day coming up.[p]For those that have experimented with different kinds of brines, from the simple (kosher salt, sugar, water) to the exotic, (maple syrup, bay leaves, juniper berries, apple cider vinegar, etc.) can you really tell the difference in the flavor of turkey after taking it off the egg or the oven?[p]I know the purpose of brining, to put water back in to prevent drying out during the cook. and theoretically, so should the spices in the brine. But if you cooked two turkeys just alike, with the exception of using a simple brine in one, and an exotic one in the other . . .[p]. . . could you really tell the difference in the taste?

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Yes. You can taste the difference. Here are two examples:[p]1. Ground thyme completely passed through a pork roast I brined and the inside of the meat actually turned a green hue. If you like thyme you would have really liked this brined pork roast.[p]2. An apple cider brine I did really added a lot of apple flavor to a whole turkey I once Q'd. [p]It has been my experience the more potent the flavors in the brine the more potent flavor is imparted in the meat. I did not intend for the brined pork above to taste mostly like thyme. It did because I used ground thyme and because it was the most potent flavor in that brine. Since that experience when I brine I add more potent flavors that I want to impart in the meat.[p]Hope that assists you!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    DavidR,
    I cooked a brined 18 lb turkey in my large egg last Thanksgiving and it turned out to be the best turkey I have ever cooked. Both the white and dark meat turned out tender and juicy. I highly recommend brining if for no other reason then to keep the turkey moist.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    DavidR,[p]In some stuff, no, I can't tell. In turkey...definitely. I've done brined and I've done not brined and the moistness of even the breast meat on an el-cheapo turkey comes out incredible with brine. Chicken I don't care for brine. Makes it slimy to me. Cornish Hens I brine. And I've brined myself in patchouli oil several times with very positive feedback.[p]mShark
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    DavidR,
    I brined a chicken last weekend (sorry, mollyshark, not the least bit slimy) in beer, water, salt and molasses. I'm guessing 14 hours in refrigerated brine, and it was moist with just a hint of sweetness. (3 hours at 230º grill temp - my dome thermometer is shot and awaiting replacement.)
    Two things impressed me most of all: the skin came out a gorgeous mahogany and was tender (not the least bit rubbery). And even when I got the breast to 160º, the skin and meat had not pulled back from the drum tips.
    Ken

• mollyshark
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Sounds like a good brine. Can you post or send me the specifics?[p]Maybe I've had chickens from bad neighborhoods.[p]mShark
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Always a pleasure to accomodate a lady, especially one who's "brined herself in patchouli oil..."
    Heat together
    1 quart water
    1 quart beer
    1 cup molasses
    1/2 pound (non-iodized) salt
    When salt is dissolved, simmer 5 minutes and cool before using.

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I like your brine recipe..after taking the bird out of the brine I like to put it under a fan "a al Peking duck" for thirty to forty-five minutes or so, makes for a crisper skin...nde
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Last person I met who brined herself in patchouli was at a Grateful Dead concert back in '85.... hey, was that you?[p]WD

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Strmn2smoke,
    Forgot to say, when I remove the bird from the brine I rinse it under the sprayer at the sink. Like your fan technique. If I have time (which means if I thought ahead and have room) I like to return it, uncovered, to the refrigerator overnight - let the dehumidifier work its magic. I do love crispy skin!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Have you tried this, it's great. (pay attention to the amount of time the chicken is in the brine)
    New Bob

[ul][li]Brant's beer butt chicken[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Yikes. I've been found out!