Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Celtic ....Therm Ques

Options
Ike Witt
Ike Witt Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to re check my thermometers after this cook
(boiling water) if it is the Mav. that is failing, what would you suggest for a replacement. I dont have a guru or stoker etc.

thanks
allen

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Just mark the probe and the remote with the difference in temp and subtract that from the readout.

I heard there is a way to calibrate the Maverick, but I have never done it. Now that I have my Guru's my Mavericks are dust collectors.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    But are you sure that the reading delta is linear? What if it scales dramatically as the temperature rises?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    That's an issue I've been flogging in every BGE thermometer thread I've come across. Zeroing is not calibrating.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Its not linear, but you will still be closer then just letting it go.

It is common to "calibrate" at boiling. However, if really follow the instructions they also tell you to check freezing.

It won't be linear in a device that cost less then 10K anyway. To be linear the source would need to be as near to absolute zero as you can get. That requires a Dwyer and I have yet to see one below 10K..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've got 4 or 5 of those Dwyer things in the basement.

My comment was meant to be facetious, but the tongue in cheek nature was missed. That's the problem with the internets, you can't properly convey tone.

I apologize, I was just trying to be a bit of a wiseacre on a friday evening.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Haven't you been paying attention.. I have no sense of humor..

Especially when I have to work on a Friday night and I am worried about my friends..