Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to prepare smoked salmon on a green egg?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    kosmo,[p]The best smoked salmon recipe that I have found comes from Steven Raichlan's "How To Grill". IMHO, there is no easier and quicker way to get top quality smoked salmon. And it's foolproof to boot![p]Here are the basics for a 2 lb. fillet (skin removed):[p]1. Soak salmon in dark rum for 15 minutes (I have used Jack Daniels for a different flavor which I prefer, but you can experiment 'til your heart's content!)[p]2. Drain salmon and mix together 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup coarse salt. Pat salmon dry. Place 1/3 of sugar/salt mixture in bottom of non-reactive baking dish. Place salmon on top. Pack remaining sugar/salt mixture on top of and around salmon. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 4 hours. (this is basically a quick cure method)[p]3. Remove salmon, rinse clean, and pat dry.[p]4. Place salmon on the egg at 350° for 30 minutes using indirect heat method (pizza stone, drip pan, etc.). I smokeo mine using apple wood pellets from Wal-Mart. It turns out better than any store bought salmon every time!![p]Good luck and keep the smoke risin'![p]Jim[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    Where in the world have you been hiding...Good to see you drop back in.
    Larry

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hiya, Larry! I'm lurking. LOL! You WILL be seeing me soon. Just been real busy. Have some free time to actually read the forum now. Hope all is well with you and yours.[p]Jim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    Things have been going great here...Let me know the next time you come our way....Maybe we can meet for lunch.
    Larry

• Animal Eater
    Options
    kosmo,[p]I use fillets, skin on, pin bones removed with needle nose pliars. Soak in a mixture of soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, honey, sesame seed oil. Then I add water to dilute this slightly. This should have the saltiness of sea water and enough sweetness to balance it. No measurements sorry. Just taste it. Soak in this for 12 to 48 hours depending on what you like. A few hours before you light your fire, pull the fish from the brine and pat dry. Put it back in the fridge uncovered. I find the fish takes on smoke better if it's dry on the surface. 200 degrees or less, indirect with a drip pan and use a mild wood like alder or apple. This works well with albacore, especially the belly meat. The fattier, the better.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Bourbon%20Dejon%20Salmon.jpg
    <p />kosmo,
    Try the link below. It is the best.
    B D

[ul][li]Salmon[/ul]
  • Animal Eater,[p]
    Thanks for the advice - I tried it both ways (wit bourbon and with dark rum - both were excellent.[p]Thanks again,[p]Kosmo

• JSlot,[p]
    Thanks for the advice I tried it tonight and it was excellent.[p]Kosmo

• Big Daddy, My daughter got me a cutting board similar to the one in this pic, but simpler. Used it twice and it split at the seems......... mainly my fault for not rubbing the oil on it soon enough. I have to say in observation, nice ass board in that pic.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    Thats the favorite in our house also...[p]Wess