Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in Hurricane?

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With strong winds due here in Houston, what is recommended to do with my large BGE in its nest? No room in the garage, etc.

I now have it under and eave with a cover next to a screen porch.

Should I lay it on its side? Or will that possibly mess up the alignment?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    it would not lay it on its side as that is a weaker position. . . .i would be tempted to take it out of the nest and set it flat in a corner somewhere. ..why don't you take it into the screen porch, or even better, wheel it on into your house (the kitchen or some other room for the day - its not that big). .but i think if you are that worried about it i'd lash it down to something. . . .
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Do you have a pole or something to tie the nest legs to? I have been thru a few hurricanes with a large table and a small nest and I tie the little guy off to a post. I would not recommend laying it down as it may roll and do damage.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    And fill it up with something heavy.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    I meant after taking out out of the nest...
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    greetings,
    after living in Fla for 10 years i have been through a few storms and we always just rolled the eggs to the side of the house away from the wind and lashing rain. have even had hurricane parties and cooked during. we never wanted to pack the eggs to far away because we used them on several occasions as our only source of cooking for several days until the power and utilities were restored.
    Good Luck and Gods blessings for the safety of you and yours......
  • momcooks
    Options
    Something has to come out of the garage. ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    If you are here in Houston you might want to consider coming to the Coop Party here at the Chicken Rancy on October 4th. Check out the Invitation and RSVP and list of who all is coming:

http://chickencoopparty.blogspot.com/

It's just a chance for a bunch of Eggheads to get together to meet and discuss, what else, Big Green Eggs. Plus have a good time cooking and eating whatever anyone wants to cook.

There may not even be a Coop after this weekend but the party is still "ON."

Spring "In The Bullseye" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice!

I decided it would be sufficient to move it into the screened porch against the house wall.

I'm leaving it in the nest. It's too heavy for JoAnne and me to try to remove from the nest. This should be okay, don't you think?
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    If I were you I would find a place in the house or garage for it. You may really need it after the storm, waiting for utilities to come back. I've just taken mine back outside following the passage of Gustav and now Ike.

Good luck to all of you in the Houston area.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    If you are worried, you can the remove the fire box and ring and the top comes by loosening 2 bolts. The two of you should then be able to handle the base pretty easily. I've done it myself recently. Don't think its not going to be a powerful storm.
  • aquabubba
    Options
    When we have a hurricane here we just tie it to a pole and let it go. It is not really going to catch much wind. Of course if you could put it on the north side of the house that would be best.
  • jeffybeer
    Options
    Funny thing is earlier this spring here in MN we got hit by a couple of tornados. In the tornado's path was my dad's BGE and a few miles from him was one of my best friends BGE. Both were sitting wide open with minimal protection. Both of them stood up to baseball sized hail and 70 mph winds. I was amazed. So give your egg more credit than you think when it comes to toughness.