Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ike On Steroids

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This one has developed into a monster and will most likely intensify following such rapid growth. We're nowhere close, but torrential rains and tidal surges caused flooding here on the Suncoast of FL yesterday. This is serious and the outer bands of rain are already hitting New Orleans. Looks like about 36 hours before the eye hits the Texas coast so there's still time to flee. My choice would be to head west to somewhere (higher elevation) that's not prone to flooding. According to the experts, storms that slam the coast @ 90 degrees do not abate as quickly as those that strike a glancing blow. Best wishes for survival & safety to all!

Comments

• Big Dom
    Options
    Yes this monster should be here sometime Saturday afternoon. I'm not on the coast thankfully but it looks like it is going to track right over us in central TX perhaps a little to the east. Last forcast I saw is predicting 50 mph sustained winds and torrential rains, possible tornadoes. I've never seen one come this far inland since I've been here but we shall see. Hopefully it doesn't turn out as bad as they are predicting. That thing sure looks huge.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Well, fortunately you're not on the coast. When did you migrate from the Big Apple to Texas? I was born & raised in NYC...
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    The closer it gets, the bigger it looks too. There's no avoiding it so we'll just ride it out and see where it takes us. Maybe Kansas.

I've been putting away IFO's (Identified Flying Objects) all morning and still have to disassemble most of the hanging stuff in the Coop, and that's a lot of stuff. Then tape the cabinet doors and drawers shut, tape the Egg caps down and hope it survives.

Right now I'm off to buy more basic food items, if there are any left. Should be plenty of cheap rum because I'm the only one who drinks it.

Spring "Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you aren't bugging out?

aren't they strongly recommending folks get out?
    good luck
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Hope all works out OK for you Texans. I drank my share of inexpensive rhum when FAY dumped 20+ inches of rain. Good Luck!
  • Old Salt
    Options
    Good to see that you are keeping your spirits up but this one is coming in really strong. If you do decide to get away go northwest. All evacuations seem to go north with the storms chasing them. Hang in there and stay safe.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Mandatory evacuations are from Galveston (our closest coast line) up to Pasadena (southeast side of Houston). SC is about an hours drive north of Pasadena and I'm about an hour west of Pasadena. To avoid the evacuation disaster they created during Rita, they’re asking everyone else to sit tight. They are releasing the mandatory evacuations by zip code.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX