Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just put on a batch of chili !!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first try at chili on the egg and i've got a few questions. I've got the temp at around 190. How long should I let the stuff cook? Does adding wood chips enhance the flavor? If so, what type should I use? I've got apple, mesquite, and hickory to choose from. Thanks for any help you can give me.[p]Dave

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    dgoat,[p]You need to raise your dome temp to the 250-275* range or you will be cooking all day. I normally cook chili to an internal temp of 180* to where it's noticably starting to reduce. A one gallon batch should take 3 hours. [p]Apple chips are great with chili, but any combo of what you have should work nicely. Stir about every 20 minutes.[p]K~G

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    dgoat,
    This is too late to help you with your first batch - hope it turned out good. I do mine a little differently than Kenny. I cook mine in an old dutch oven at 350 for two hours with my pizza stone between the grill and dutch oven. I stir it every 30 minutes or so, but have had no problem with sticking in the two batches I have done. I have used hickory and ash to flavor my chili and like the results I get from both. For my next batch I will try mesquite. I'm sure that apple wood will add a very nice flavor also.