Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White sauce?

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got one birds-worth of pulled chicken, and a batch of pizza dough waiting for me in the icebox. I'm planning a chicken & garlic pizza for dinner, but I'd like to use a white sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce. Just browsed the recipe section and didn't see any there. Anybody got a recipe?
Ken

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Some guy at eggtoberfest was making some damn fine pizza's. He had a white sauce, but would not give the entire contents. It consisted of cream cheese, garlic, milk and basil. I think he has some parm in there too. I'm sure I'm missing some, but that was the foundation of it. It was the consistency of mayo.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Wardster,
    Thanks for the lead. In my "mental kitchen" I working on the lines of ricotta, milk, garlic, basil and white pepper. Chicken and sauteed garlic next, all topped with shredded mozzarella. What do you think?
    Ken

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I have used this alfredo recipe for pizza's and it is quite good. [p]Alfredo Sauce [p]1 pint Heavy cream
    1 stick Butter
    2 tablespoon(s) Cream cheese
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon Garlic powder[p]PREPARATION:
    Simmer cream, butter and cream cheese until melted, stirring constantly[p]Add parmesan and garlic podwer and simmer for about 15-20 minutes on low OR until the cheese begins to brown just slightly.[p]Season with a little salt and pepper if desired.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Ken,[p]I've made a white pizza sauce along your lines of thinking.
    Add the sauteed garlic in ex. virgin olive oil to the ricotta, salt, white pepper, chopped basil, freshly grated parmesean, a little milk to loosen it up. I want the sauce to be strong with garlic and tangy with the parm..... making me hungry as I type.[p]I drizzle a little of the olive oil on the dough before spreading the mixture and bake. Yow![p]I wouldn't mind hearing what combination you finally come up with.[p]John[p]

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Thank you sir, I think you just made up my mind (and it's getting me hungry too!)
    Stogie has a good-sounding alfredo sauce (above) that I'm going to copy down for future reference. And Cornfed e-mailed a recommendation for Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce. I'll be looking for that too when I go to market.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Stogie,
    Thanks! Don't know if I'll use your recipe this time or next, but I will use it.[p]Ken

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    The suggestions already posted are great, but fresh Mozzarello must be added. I just found some at our Publix grocery from Italy and it is the real McCoy.......made from buffalo milk.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]So what did you decide on and how did it come out.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Gloria, "Italian Buffalo's" cheese reimported back to the motherland of Buffalo herds. Where is the nearest Publix? I want to try some....

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    First, thanks for the suggestions and the interest.
    I had enough chicken and dough for two pies, so I made one white and the other green. While they were very good, my baking technique needs improvement - crusts were more crisp than I'd have liked.[p]The White
    sautee 3 Tbsp minced garlic in olive oil, add to
    8 oz. ricotta
    3 Tbsp grated parmesan
    pinch white pepper
    pinch salt
    1 tsp dried basil
    2 sprigs fresh basil snipped fine
    milk to "loosen" and improve spreadability
    mix in electric mixer until well-mixed and spreadable[p]The Green
    12 oz stuffed green olives
    1/2 small onion
    1 Tbsp minced garlic
    pinch black pepper
    1 tsp lemon juice
    2 to 3 oz. olive oil
    Process in food processor until smooth and spreadable. (I reserved a couple of tablespoons when the mixture was fairly coarse - to add back at the end for texture.)[p]Spread filling on dough, cover with pulled chicken, top with approx 1/2 pound shredded mozzarella. Bake till done.[p]Ken

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Both sound terrific and printed out for future cooks.[p]John