Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket - Rutland or BGE??

Options
livefree
livefree Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 40+ year old kamado my father-in-law pickup new inOkinawa while in the Navy. It has no gasket and cooks well but not easy to maintain a low low temp because of the leakage. I've searched the forum to determine if there is a consensus as to which relacement gasket to use. I've read some of the pro's and con's but I'm still not sure which direction to go. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would recommend the rutland for the newer eggs that go to high temps, but your egg is really not for high temps. the felt would be fine for what your egg was designed for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • livefree
    Options
    Where can you buy a felt gasket fishlessman?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont use gaskets anymore, but any bge dealer should have or can get the felt, bge in atlanta has an upgraded version if you call them.
    fukahwee maine

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Rutland specifically states that their gaskets are not for use on any type of cooker.
  • Old Salt
    Options
    What I used for my old Hibachi clay egg was 1" sewing material from a fabric shop. I've only replaced the gaskets twice.
    Just received a new firebox and fire ring and gaskets for mine from Imperial Kamado. They still make the clay eggs. Mine is 38 yrs old.
  • livefree
    Options
    Old Salt, can you describe 1" sewing material. Is it 1" wide or thick,is it a specific type of fabric?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Do you have that in print? And does it state they are not for use, or not approved for use?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its on the naked whiz site
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Rutland also states in their technical white paper that their gaskets are not recommended to come in contact with food. This does not state they are not approved for use on a cooker.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i agree and recommend rutland over the other gaskets, but i doubt the company will approve its use on a cooker and open the door for all the lawsuits. i bet 3m spray adhesive wouldnt recommend breathing in melting glue fumes during a high temp cook either.
    fukahwee maine

• Old Salt
    Options
    livefree wrote:
    Old Salt, can you describe 1" sewing material. Is it 1" wide or thick,is it a specific type of fabric?

It was 1" wide of cotton material. You could probably get felt material at the fabric stores you could use. I have to keep my temps below 450* so no burning gasket problems.
  • livefree
    Options
    How/where do you get the Rutland? Naked whiz says to inequire of Ron at this site. He sells them apparently. How to contact him?
  • fieroguy
    Options
    I highly recommend:

Thermeez 395 and 397 is woven from industrial grade, Asbestos Free, Ceramic Fibers. These fibers are high in strength, flexible, durable, dimensionally and chemically stable and provide excellent electrical resistance. Ideal for thermal insulators, padding, gaskets, flexible curtains, liquid metal splash protection, expansion joints, etc. Google ‘Cotronics’. If interested, it is cat. #397-41 for 1500 deg. 1” x 1/16” x 100’ roll, enough to replace both gaskets on seven large Eggs. About $30 plus shipping. (I have no affiliation with Cotronics, just use their products very successfully)

Mike
    Wrens. GA
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    All Contronics gaskets are NOT for cookers. I got an email from them stating this fact.
  • fieroguy
    Options
    I called and talked to their technical department and while they could not specifically recommend for use as I explained to them (BGE gasket), they did not suggest that I not use it.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    The intensity of the negative spin is in direct relation to who's ox is getting gored! The higher the profit margin and repetition of sales then the more the negative spin rumors develop into wild scare stories.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • livefree
    Options
    RRP, are you the Ron that sells the Rutland product?
  • RRP
    Options
    YUP - that's me! - I sure DO sell those and after selling over 300 Rutland kits to people all over the US and Canada that I have YET to MAKE ONE PENNY PROFIT for this service I provide to people who have enough smarts to make their own decision about the scare rumors "some" FOR PROFIT companies have spun for gullible people to swallow, hook, line and sinker!
    Good night...
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Say Ron,
    After installing my Rutland and finally getting around to removing the old gasket from the top, I now have some leaking. Especially noticeable when I get some wood chunks really smoking. What do you think about putting a second Rutland on the top? I know fiber glass is not supposed to be hanging over the food, but I ain't scared. Hell, I'm already eating meat cooked over an open flame and the health police are telling me it's carcinogenic. How much worse can it get? Besides, it's not like I'm eating the gaskets.
  • RRP
    Options
    you have email
  • RRP;

Can you please contact me by email regarding the Rutland gasket?

thanks,

Dr Habenero
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sometimes you can get a tighter fit by just reseating the dome in the bands, sometimes using a screwdriver to pry the bands into position while tightening the bolts.
    fukahwee maine

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Which one do I need for the XL and how much is it? Any help in this would be appricated.

Thanks
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney