Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New Egg, Melted Gasket

Options
zrachie
zrachie Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay...Egg user for about 2 months...but I just got a new egg...kept the temp. below 400 degrees....noticed smoke coming out the back by hinges about 2 hrs. into the fire...my husband adjusted it so all edges were sealed...now after cooking our first meal, the back part of the gasket by the hinges is burned and seperated from the egg...what should I do? Should I replace it...it is a pain since the felt isn't sticking anymore...should I complain to the place I purchased it from since they put it together? Or should I try to restick it? It seems that it has shrunk about 1 inch since it burned, so it doesn't make the whole circumfrence. PS. It is and XL. Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know u all! P.S. The wings turned out great though!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Talk to your dealer. sounds like it would not pass the dollar bill test on the back side. Give your dealer a chance to respond.
  • zrachie
    Options
    Oh thanks...it definitely would not have...it was open in the back at least a 1/4 inch! Smoke was pouring out the back...that is how I realized it...the whole thing was put together like crap...the front vent was sealed crummy and the thermometer on top is lopsided! Uggh...so frustrating...hopefully they will be accomodating..Thanks for the advice..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Just give your dealer the first shot. If no satisfaction it is an easy repair and he just lost a ton of money (probably more than you paid for the egg) in future business. I know buying the egg is less than what I've spent on the toys, lump and other things I've bought in the last 8 years.
  • zrachie
    Options
    Totally...my dad bought an XL last month and bought me one which we got today...so the guy probably doesn't give a hoot since we're it...but worth a try...in a really rural area out her on Long Islad....oh well...live and learn...shoulda checked...looks like no more than a 12 dollar repair if it is on my dollar... :) Can't wait to dig in....cheers!

Rae
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    This type thing sure is frustrating, but it does happen and is pretty easy to get resolved.

If there is ever a visual gap or if like in your case a lot of smoke comes out of an egg, adhesive/gasket problems are most likely soon to follow.

There are a couple of things here.

I am not saying this is what happened. Nevertheless, the hinge assembly sure makes a convenient handle for lifting. However, that is not what it is designated for and is a very dangerous practice. At minimum lifting the by the hinge (or handle) will most likely cause miss-alignment of the dome/base. At worse case the egg could fall out of the bands and the result would be a broken egg.

There is no way to know if that happened. The alignment isn’t hard to check out. Use the dollar bill test. If you are not sure what that is, use the search button above and search on the forum for ‘dollar bill’ and you will find several posts that will help.

You can replace the entire gasket of or even put a patch in the bad area. BGE says to use 3M 77 adhesive or elmer’s glue. Keep in mind gaskets will wear and get old over time, but that isn’t the case from what you are saying.

First of all contact your dealer and ask them for help. Tell them of the problem and your concerns with your egg and give them a chance fix things up. I have only had or have heard of a extremely few dealers (2 or 3) that are not much help. If you read the posts the egg dealers mostly have been fantastic with us eggers.

If you have to replace the gasket yourself ask the dealer or come back ask for help. There are some hard ways to get this done and some easy ways. If you can’t get the problem corrected before the weekend there are some other solutions. \

No matter what you do make sure the dome/base are aligned before relighting the egg.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    zrachie wrote:
    Totally...my dad bought an XL last month and bought me one which we got today...so the guy probably doesn't give a hoot since we're it

It is hard to believe the dealer wouldn't help you out with this - it would be very unusual - give them a chance.

Now for the comment 'that is it' - I have bought 4 eggs from my dealer and have recommended 11 others which have bought. I know cuz I get a free bag of lump on a referal.

Eggs out here are not cheap, but the survice from our dealer is fantastic.

Don't jump on the dealer, tell them the problem and ask for help. Like Pat says, give them a chance. (then go to the next step if nothing happens).

GG
  • zrachie
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer...it is much appreciated...I will check out the dollar bill test on the forum...so how should I lift the egg so as to minimize the chance of getting it too loose? TIA!
    Rae
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Don't lift by anything above the lower band (to include the lower band.

I took off the lower vent and screen slider and used the the vent as a lower hand hold and then had someone else on the other side lifting by the bottom of the egg on my large.

It is really hard not to grap the hinge or handle.

There is a device, pot lifter, available. I never did get one. I just got extra help. Make sure whoever lifts the egg that they are strong enough and possitioned well so they don't lose grip or hurt their/your back and or drop the egg.

Think before you move or lift, eggs are top heavy and we have seen more than a few broken eggs from moving/lifting. Be a little careful when setting the egg down so it doesn't 'hit' what ever it is put on/in. These things are tough but they are ceramic and ceramic may crack.

I think the XL is 200# or so and then less for the smaller sizes.

No need to panic, just be careful.

GG
  • zrachie
    Options
    Thanks again for all the help...I'll let u know how I make out...stinks to have to repair something u have only had for hours:)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    In a year and a half I have lost 6 gaskets on 2 of my eggs.

I had lost the gasket on both my large and medium on the first firing. The large was me TRexing a steak. I opened the dome and flashback - took the gasket out in less than 2 seconds.

The medium was an alignment problem.

I have come to learn most of the gasket failures have more to do with the way the egg is handled and used rather than faulty eggs.

Unfortunately this happens once in a while. Keep us informed.

GG
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    Where on Long Island are you? I'm in Deer Park and there is another egger in Ronkonkama