Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric Knives

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I was slicing the roast beef I had made earlier in the week (open face sammies and cedar planked taters-yum).

I noticed that my electric knife was doing OK, I do better with my own knife but am lazy, impatient etc..

It was ripping/ burning the meat.

Does anyone have an electric knife that they use, or is there something better, short of a commercial slicer?

Walt

Comments

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    My chefs choice electric slicer available about anywhere online has done me a great job for over 5 years. I used commercial equipment for 27 years in another life and the chef choice for what it is as a home unit does a great job.
    E
  • Cecil
    Options
    E- "chefs choice", I'll look at that. I think my current one is old and worn out.

Walt
  • Cecil
    Options
    What model# do you have?
    There is a big difference in price, from my initial google search.

Walt
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    If you want to stick with an electric knife, which can be stored in a drawer, as opposed to a much more bulky electric slicer (like in a deli), you might consider the Sonic Blade electric knife.

The reviews on Amazon are all over the place, but I've been quite satisfied with mine; your mileage may vary. The blades are detachable and dishwasher-safe, so cleanup is trivial. One unique feature is that it's powered with NiMH rechargeable batteries, so you can use it without being moored to an AC outlet. For anything that's soft, sticky or mushy, an electric knife works much better than a fixed blade. For example, it's great on fresh-baked bread or angel-food cake. I also like it for grilled panini sandwiches, because it cuts through oozing melted cheese without making the cheese squirt out of the sandwich. The website videos show it cutting frozen ribs apart, but I have not used it for such demanding applications. I feel it's safer because you need very little pressure to cut, but if you're accident-prone you will have to make that decision for yourself.

It lists for around $60 at Linens-n-Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond (look for the 20% off coupons, of course) or you can get one off the Internets or pay too much from a TV infomercial. I think Wal-Mart also has them now. It comes with a "food holder" which is a metal-tined comb that can be used as a guide to cut slices. I never use that. The online deal is two of 'em for $100 plus shipping, with a few junky accessories thrown in.

Because the batteries are NiMH, try to get an extra battery as I suspect there will be a memory effect. Given this battery technology, I do not leave mine constantly charging.
  • Cecil
    Options
    Thank you for the info, I've seen these during interrupted sleep. This may be a good answer. Again thanks for the response.

Walt