Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help a new guy

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got the BGE and have cooked chicken, not bad but not good, and today some pork chops, about 1.5 inches thick. problem was timing. put them on at 275 direct thinking I could pull them off in about an hour. took them 30 minutes to cook. Used an internal thermometer and pulled at 155. This cooker is fast. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• sirlancealot
    Options
    hold tight, the answers are coming, faster than you can read them..
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Indirect that thick. 250 for a temp. Pull at 145.

Mike
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Make sure you let the fire stabilize for about 15 minute at the target temp and you will have very even heat and tastier food.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Like Mike said indirect and 145. To me 275 is not as big a problem as the meat temp. Chop is a lean cut and drys out easy. Also serve as soon as possable as the longer it sets the dryer it will become.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    A little more info on why the chicken was not good please. I don't do many thick chops or steaks, but my guess is the time it took at that temp and direct must be about right if CWM did not comment on that. I doubt your dome thermo is inaccurate, but you may want to check that it reads 212 (at sea level anyway) by putting the tip in a pot of boiling water. If it is off, turn the nut on the back with a 7/16 wrench.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations.

What size egg(s)?

There are a lot of ways to cook chicken, never have tasted 'not good' or 'good' from the egg. Always has been 'really good' or 'great' and until the egg I was not a big chicken fan.

GG
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied. The egg is a large. I pounded the chicken breast so they would all be about the same thickness. Cooked direct and just left them on too long. Egg cooks a lot faster than I expected. The pork chops were done direct as well. Guess it is time to open the plate setter box and start doing some indirect.
    Again thanks for the help
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    You need to remember the egg is similar to a convection oven with hot air circulating around the food shortening cooking times. The eggs ability to retain and hold moisture during cooking is why it can achieve such phenomenal results.