Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar plank salmon

Eggoholic
Eggoholic Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Direct or Indirect? and how long does it usually take?
Thanks

Comments

• On the plank which is placed directly on the grill at 425 deg for about 20 min until temp reads 137 in thickest part.
  • Be sue to soak the plank for a few hours first or it will catch fire. You want the plank to char not burn.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    always direct, since the plank makes it indirect. if you use a platesetter, the planke won't smoke, and that's frankly the only reason it's there. the fish gets no flavor by virtue of sitting on the wood.

soak the plank (if its cedar) to delay the smoke til the end of the cook. too much cedar is not a good thing, but just a tinge works well with the fattiness of the salmon.

400 or so, maybe 15 minutes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    This works for me and everyone at work on Monday that loves my leftovers from my Sunday cook:

Dijon mustard
    Brown sugar
    Olive oil
    Ground sea salt
    Fresh round pepper
    Salmon filet
    Cedar plank (soaked in water for 2 hours or more)

Brush both sides of filet with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Rub mustard over the non-skin side and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar. Alternate recipe: skip the mustard and brown sugar and sprinkle basil leaves, thyme, or your favorite seasoning over the filet.

Heat Egg to 350 degrees. By this time, the filets will be closer to room temperature (Don’t worry, you will not get sick or die from salmonella! Get it?!?). Brush cedar plank with olive oil on both sides and season with salt on the cooking side. Place plank on grill grid, direct heat, for about 5 minutes. Remove plank and put plate setter in place for indirect cooking (legs up). Allow Egg to return to 350 degrees (Note: open up the draft door and top a bit more to speed this process as the plate setter will absorb/deflect a lot of heat). Place filet on the non-grilled side of the plank and return to Egg for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the filet is at least 135 degrees.
  • csr
    This works for me, and everyone at work on Monday, that loves my leftovers from my Sunday cook:

Dijon mustard
    Brown sugar
    Olive oil
    Ground sea salt
    Fresh round pepper
    Salmon filet

Brush both sides of filet with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Rub mustard over the non-skin side and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar. Alternate recipe: skip the mustard and brown sugar and sprinkle basil leaves, thyme, or your favorite seasoning over the filet.

Heat Egg to 350 degrees. By this time, the filets will be closer to room temperature (Don’t worry, you will not get sick or die from salmonella! Get it?!?). Brush cedar plank with olive oil on both sides and season with salt on the cooking side. Place plank on grill grid, direct heat, for about 5 minutes. Remove plank and put plate setter in place for indirect cooking (legs up). Allow Egg to return to 350 degrees (Note: open up the draft door and top a bit more to speed this process as the plate setter will absorb/deflect a lot of heat). Place filet on the non-grilled side of the plank and return to Egg for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the filet is at least 135 degrees.
  • csr
    This works for me, and everyone at work on Monday, that loves my leftovers from my Sunday cook:

Dijon mustard
    Brown sugar
    Olive oil
    Ground sea salt
    Fresh round pepper
    Salmon filet