Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BIG Cook

Options
Soccer Guy
Soccer Guy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be doing the meat for a fun time this Sunday, 27 Adults, 4 Teens and 3 Children. I have 2 Brisqits (12 and 15 lbs each) and 4 Pork Butts (8 - 10 lbs each).[p]1) Will all this fit on the Large Egg?
2) With all this meat any special config to make it work?
3) Will doing at 200 - 225 take longer than if doing this all together?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Soccer Guy,
    First of all, WOW! That is a lot of work and not much time.[p]There is no way that everything will fit on a large egg. My suggestion is to start the butts cooking tonight, as all four should fit with a grill extender. Let the butts cook overnight. In the morning, pull them off and finish them off in the oven. Immediately, put the briskets on with the grill extender. Get the temp up to 275 and let them cook. Spend the rest of Saturday making the BBQ Sauces and the rest of the side dishes.[p]Good luck this is an aggressive schedule,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Also, that seems to be way too much food. Two Butts and one Big Brisket should cover your needs. Hopefully some the people around here who cater can chime in as they will know better than me.

• RhumAndJerk,[p]I don't cater, but I also thought that was way to much meat. I would think that you can get at least two sandwiches from each pound of meat. Throw in the sides and you got a lot of food to eat. I would also go with one brisket and two butts. Then you could do all three at once.[p]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Soccer Guy,[p]As others have already said way too much meat. The photo is of three 8 lb butts on one egg and two 8 lb butts and a 14 lb brisket on the other. I fed 70 people or so and had leftovers. The cook would have easily fed 100 people. I would do two butts over a brisket and freeze the rest or do a 2nd cook and freeze the cooked meat (hopefully you have a foodsaver). Good luck with your cook and have a great party.[p]Chuck <><

• Soccer Guy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for the input, I was hoping that I had too much as well. Plus we will have chicken, turkey and some links.
  • Soccer Guy
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Thanks for the pic and the advice. I do plan on doing a 2nd cook and putting it in the second freezer and second fridg I have in the garage, just for this reason.
  • Soccer Guy
    Options
    Chuck,[p]One last question, will the three items finish in about the same time as doing only one item?
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Soccer Guy,[p] Before you put the cooked food into the fridge or freezer, be sure to let it cool down on the counter. I am sure that i have read, that putting meat into a cold encloser may result in food poisoning. As the outter part of the meat will cool to fast, leaving the center in a danger zone to long. Please check into, just in-case i am wrong.[p]Earl
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Soccer Guy,[p]Sorry for the delay in answering, had to work today. The pictured cook took 20 hours. The butts were at 200* and the brisket was at 190* and both were fantastic. Good luck. <>< [p]