Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin Brisket, Costco or HEB?

ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on picking up a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Where do ya'll Austinites reccomend going? Costco or HEB. Just signed up for Costco so I'm not to familiar w/ their meats. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Here in México it is definitely Costco for a nice juicy & tender brisket.......I'm cooking 2 tonight to take them up to the Sierra Madre tomorrow. Will post some photos.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    ATX,

I've had good ones from both locations. I was actually at HEB the other day and found several really nice briskets - fliexible, wll trimmed and cryovac'd. Picking a good brisket is always a good first step, my challenges have normally started after I pick one though.

Good luck!!
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    I vote for Costco because all of their beef is USDA Choice or better. HEB sometimes has Choice, but it also has Select grade.

Regards,
  • ATX
    Cool thanks. I'm going to have to check them out.
  • ATX
    Was it the Bee Caves HEB? I'm in Oak Hill, but the meat selection is way better at the Bee Caves Location than at the 71 location.
  • ATX
    Thanks man. I used to live in the D.F. actually. Early to mid 90's. Fun place, loved it. Best tacos al pastor on the planet.
  • SmokeyD
    SmokeyD Posts: 46
    I just picked one up from Costco today. It was 1.69 a pound there, it's 1.69 at HEB as well.
    The two best I've gotten have been one from Central Market(it was prime)
    and one from Target(99 cents a pound)
    I checked target today and it's 1.59 a pound and they actually had some decent ones.
    The central market at bee caves and 360 had some nice looking ones last week.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I like Costco's brisket--they sell select packers which will fit on the LBGE just fine. Same for Sam's. Both are cheaper than HEB.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I'm just curious as to what an HEB store is. I'm from PA and I guess we don't have them. Our local Costco doesn't carry brisket or Boston Butt. I do like their other meats though.
  • SmokeyD
    HEB is just a grocery store. You are lucky where you probably have wegman's which would be similar to Central Market which is an upscale HEB.
  • Austin Smoker
    Love Wegman's - did a 6 months stint in Bethlehem, PA last year and shopped a the one in Easton - OFTEN! Great store, but didn't look for brisket.

SmokeyD wrote:
    HEB is just a grocery store. You are lucky where you probably have wegman's which would be similar to Central Market which is an upscale HEB.
  • SmokeyD
    I used to live in northern virginia and we got them there about 5 years ago. It was awesome as the prices were the same as other places but the food was way better. Also great place to go grab lunch.
    Even though I have HEB, Central Market, and Whole Foods now I really miss wegman's.
    The people who shop at Whole Foods are typically rude. Central Market is over-priced but fantastic. HEB is just alright minus the Far West and Bee Caves stores.
    I really do miss wegman's.
  • Austin Smoker
    My impressions of the options here exactly. I go to CM pretty much for meat, fish and produce...because the quality and selection is AWESOME, despite the price - HEB for everything else

BTW, the Meat Manager at the South CM told me he was expecting Hanger Steaks in on Tuesday!! Also, the Bee Caves/71 HEB is undergoing a makeover that will make it like the Bee Caves/360 store. SWEET!

SmokeyD wrote:
    I used to live in northern virginia and we got them there about 5 years ago. It was awesome as the prices were the same as other places but the food was way better. Also great place to go grab lunch.
    Even though I have HEB, Central Market, and Whole Foods now I really miss wegman's.
    The people who shop at Whole Foods are typically rude. Central Market is over-priced but fantastic. HEB is just alright minus the Far West and Bee Caves stores.
    I really do miss wegman's.
  • SmokeyD
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    My impressions of the options here exactly. I go to CM pretty much for meat, fish and produce...because the quality and selection is AWESOME, despite the price - HEB for everything else

BTW, the Meat Manager at the South CM told me he was expecting Hanger Steaks in on Tuesday!! Also, the Bee Caves/71 HEB is undergoing a makeover that will make it like the Bee Caves/360 store. SWEET!
    Any idea how many they are getting in and how much?
  • Austin Smoker
    I didn't even bother asking the price, he said that he ordered Prime = not cheap! ;) But I did ask how mamy, and he said "plenty". He told me if they weren't in the case, which they normally are not, to ask one of the butchers.

See you there Tuesday? :laugh:
  • Check it out if you ever get down 35
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I like Costco meats, we got our first Costco here in Columbus, OH about a year and a half ago.

I get the thick tenderloin pork chops and break them down into freezer bags.

Same with the sirloins, tho I sometimes just make sure enough people are coming over and do the whole pack. Not sure why, but they seem to consistently be some of the best sirloins I've cooked.

I also buy ground beef and pork tenderloins.