Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what does brining actually do?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the pourpose of brining? what does it do to the meat?
Skip

Comments

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    skip toomaloo,[p]Brining is a method to get spices, H2O and sugars into the cellular structure of the meat via osmosis. As the salt liquid crosses the cell membrane the other flavoring agents cross too.[p]Need to be careful w/salt and any acidic flavoring agents (vinegars & citrus) as you can chemically cook the meat if too much of either. Likewise - small pieces of meat or cut up poultry cannot stand as much brining as bigger pieces. Salt s/b no more than 1 cup / gallon of water.[p]I have found that that meat cooks more quickly that has been brined. Only guess I have seen on forum is that the additonal moisture in the cells produces more steam. [p]tlhrtp
  • tlhrtp,
    is 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 gallon h2o the way to go as a basic brine?

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    skip toomaloo,[p]Works, 1 cup brown sugar would be better (IMO). Pepper, garlic, fresh squeezed orange/lemon/lime with rinds work too. Emeril Lagasse does a "Funky Bird" for turkey that is really good. Recipe on FoodTV website and is searchable.
    All sorts of possibilities. Again, b careful w/citrus or other acidic agents but the flavoring possibilities are limitless.

• skip toomaloo,
    cool, thanks a bunch. Gonna do it today!
    Skip

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    skip toomaloo,[p]Just keep in mind, bigger pieces need 24 hours, cut up pieces can be done shorter....

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    skip toomaloo, I'm no expert on brining. But until I started reading this forum to complement my BGE, my pork chops were always dry. I brine all my chops these days and the difference is wonderful. [p]I use about 1 cup of Kosher salt
    1 gallon spring water
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 Bay leaf
    Ground Pepper corns[p]I let the chops sit in the brining solution for at least 5 hours for 1" to 1½ chops. Perhaps others can tell you the maximum time that different cuts of meat require to get the full benefit of a brining solution. I sprinkle them with the Dizzy Pig rub and let them sit in the refrig up to 24-hours. [p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    skip toomaloo,
    Hope this msight help you.[p]New Bob

[ul][li]Brining 101[/ul]