Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter question

e-dub
e-dub Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just ordered an ex large egg that should arrive at the dealer on Thursday. When I placed my order the store owner talked me out of buying a plate setter for indirect cooking. How important is this for cooking things low and slow?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    You can always use firebrick splits as a barrier.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What was the reasoning used to talk you out of the platesetter? There are aftermarket solutions, but the platesetter is pretty handy dandy to have.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Hey, that was post #400! Catchin up to ya Stike.
    I did lose 100 or so from a former handle (Duckegg)
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Welcome to the cult, I mean club. ;) I've got a PS on my Xl and it is nice to have when I am cooking lots of Chicken and want to go indirect. There are many ways to get the same results, but I took the easiest option. So far so good, only been at this for a year.

Happy Egg'n

Gordon
  • e-dub
    He said there was really no reason to indirect cook something. This being my first egg I am clueless.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    i guess your dealer is not an egger if he said something like that!!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    The salesman you talked to is the one who is clueless.
    If all you want to use the Egg for is grilling, he was right, and you definitely picked the right Egg.
    For L&S, you absolutely need a heat barrier of some type; and the plate setter is the easiest, most convenient tool to use.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Wow, he said there is no reason to cook indirect? That's the best part in my opinion.
    A plate setter is invaluble, get one. :)
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I've had my large Egg for nine years and I've never owned a plate setter. I use a roasting rack or second grid over a drip pan (sometimes with the drip pan on a pizza stone) for indirect cooking.
  • This dumarse has never had pulled pork, brisket, slow smoked ribs, bread, pizza, buckboard bacon, smoked cheese, etc. I guess he just makes burgers and steaks. You don't have to have a platesetter but certainly need something to allow indirect cooking. Without indirect cooking you are limited to grilling and won't be able to take full advantage of the Egg. Personally, I like the platesetter.

Sorry for the rant. :huh:

I changed my mind, I'm not sorry. :laugh: The guy is clueless. violent001.gif
  • I have to agree that the salesperson was wrong on this one!
    I have my Lg. BGE set for indirect about 99% of the time….Just did a big roaster (chicken) last evening and a pizza on the weekend. I would be lost with out the plate setter!
    All though you don’t need a plate setter to set up an Egg for indirect by using a raised “Rig” (grill extender rack), pizza stone, fire brick….and so on) it sure is an easy to use and versatile piece to have.
    From what I have read; a “Rig” (from Eggcessories) (sp?) may be even more versatile, but…
    As I said, I would be lost with out my plate setter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would recommend other methods for a large, i dont have an xl but for that cooker i would get the platesetter.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OU97CPA
    OU97CPA Posts: 4
    I have an XL, plate setter, and the XL rig from eggaccessories.If I had to do it over again, I'd skip the plate setter; the xl rig plus a laguna clay 19" stone works much better for my smoking needs.

As mentioned in other threads, the legs on the xl plate setter are very short. To use a drip pan of any depth, you need to put the plate setter between the fire box and fire ring; this works great as long as you don't have to tend the fire.

With the xl rig from eggaccessories, you put the stone on a hanger, and also use the raised grid. This gives you some access to the fire without disturbing your grid or the stone, and if you need to more access, it's pretty easy to move the grid and stone with a pair of Orkas.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I don't mean any disrespect to other members or their comments. If you have never cooked on a XL using the current XL plate setter it's not fair of you to encourage or discourage the purchase of an XL plate setter to another user based on your use of a Large, Medium or Small Egg.
    The XL plate setter is unique in design and has its own set of features and problems that many users work with or around and many have moved on to other systems for indirect cooking such as fire bricks, baking pans or the XL Flip Ring made by a member of this forum. The XL Flip Ring that Tom makes is now my choice after using the XL plate setter for the first year. e-dub, please do your home work before spending your money and welcome to the XL side of cooking, I love mine.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Wish I'd have known about the flip-ring and hanger because I would not have wasted $68 on my XL plate setter.

Hopefully I figure out some use for it but I don't know what.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Photo Egg wrote:
    I don't mean any disrespect to other members or their comments. If you have never cooked on a XL using the current XL plate setter it's not fair of you to encourage or discourage the purchase of an XL plate setter to another user based on your use of a Large, Medium or Small Egg.
    The XL plate setter is unique in design and has its own set of features and problems that many users work with or around and many have moved on to other systems for indirect cooking such as fire bricks, baking pans or the XL Flip Ring made by a member of this forum. The XL Flip Ring that Tom makes is now my choice after using the XL plate setter for the first year. e-dub, please do your home work before spending your money and welcome to the XL side of cooking, I love mine.
    Darian

These are wise words, you should listen to this guy.

Here are some not so wise words. I have a medium Egg for about 8 years, and just this year bought a plate setter after learning about it on these very forums. I've had so much fun cooking new things like ribs, slow cooked chicken, ABTs, roasts, all kinds of wonderful things.

Don't get me wrong, direct cooking on an Egg is the best there is. But indirect is fantastic too. And easier :) As far as plate setter on XL? I'm clueless. But indirect is good, however you obtain it.
  • fishlessman
    having just a large i never looked to see if tom made anything for an xl. his stuff is top notch. for my large i would apply the money from a platesetter towards his rig setup, seems to be the same for an xl by looking at it now.
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    The plate setter is not a waste.
    I cut the legs off and turned it into my tri shaped pizza stone and indirect stone. Air flow is better now and nothing wasted. I even use the feet to put under drip pans at times to keep them directly off the stone.
    It's all good.
    I rough cut with a tile bit in roto zip and smoothed with a sanding block. Really not much work.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    i was just about to ask you that question, because pizza would be the one thing that would sway me towards the xl over my large.
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    The other nice thing about the XL (not good for tall cooks) is the shape of the dome is more flat and when you cook on a raised rig the dome heat browns your food very nice on wings, pizza and other flat foods.
    I'm not sure what size my stone is after the cut down but a larger stone would work.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I'd have to agree with you here!!

I do hope you're comming to Leroy and Judy's "Coop" party...October 4'th!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Photo Egg
    Like the Large Rig, Tom put many, many hours into the XL Flip Ring. He just has one of those minds. I know Tom wanted to buy an XL for a long time but wanted to work out design details for his cooking needs. I think we all won with this one as Tom now has an XL in his family.
    You better get back to your chutney, (sounds great)
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Leroy and Judy were nice enough to send me an email with the details. I missed the forum stuff.
    Your name as well as many other "A" listers were already on the list. Never been to a "Coop" party before, can't wait. I hope to talk Leroy into letting me show up Friday and do what I can to help them prepare for Saturday. I'm sure I won't be the only one.
    Darian

PS any good deals in town?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • e-dub
    Thanks Darian,

Where would I find information about this XL Flip Ring?

Eric
  • Photo Egg
    http://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html
    Copy and paste into browser.
    Money very well spent.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RATRED
    RATRED Posts: 17
    Can you tell me more about the XL Flip Ring made by Tom?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: Wife said if I have that many posts she would divorce me :ohmy: Told her if I posted that much I probably wouldn't notice until my paycheck started coming up short. We joke a lot about my time on the forum.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    I did pizza yesterday on the plate setter of the XL BGE. The taste was just like brick oven, but a word to the wise though is to cook it at a lower temp than one would at a pizza shop. Those ovens usually run around 450-500 degrees. When I did that, the bottom was nearly burnt, and the crust wasn't quite finished. In the future, I will cook pizza at 350 on the BGE.
  • Photo Egg
    http://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html

The link will take you to the site.
    The photos and descriptions posted are some of the best I have ever seen on a product page.

The basics of the XL Flip Ring are to allow cooking at different levels and multi levels in the Egg and also provide a way to cook indirect that is very easy to set up and modify "during" a cook when needed.
    I have no affiliation with Tom or Eggaccessories.com.
    It's just another fine example of forum members adding to our cooking pleasure. There are several people on this forum that provide great products and informational web sites with so much information it will boggle your mind. These are the people that have made the Egg an "Event" and not just a grill or smoker...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Put a pizza stone on top your plate setter with a space in between to create an air gap. Pizza stone on bge feet or fire brick placed on top your plate setter.
    Even though you temp may read 450-500 the heat is building right into your plate setter and the stone temp is much hotter. Adding the air gap and pizza stone will give you more of a true, even oven temp to your cooking stone.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas