Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it possible to be a veggie egger?

Options
Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not (a veggie, that is, but I have many friends who are). So I was thinking, if you were a vegetarian, would you still use the Egg frequently? What would you cook, etc?

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    birdman,
    Recently, when I found that I was wheezin after playing a while with my 4 year old and the doctor started talking about 'adult-onset diabetes' and all those good things, I decided to up the veggie intake, and tone back on the red meat. Things I wouldn't be ashamed to serve to guests....
    - smoked tomato salsa (peppers charred on Egg, tomatoes smoked over applewood)
    - Grilled portobello 'burgers'. Brushed with a little olive oil, seasoned and topped with a slice of asiago cheese (optional)
    - Stir fry veggies. Nature Boy did up an awesome one on our camping trip a few months back...basically anything goes veggie or fruit-wise. you'll need to get a bbq wok/stir fry basket for this....
    - Baked potatoes. Remember, it's the toppings that give baked spuds the bad rap! Try the smoked tomato salsa on top of an Egged russet baking potato and that's a filling meal...
    - If eating meat, go with fish or skinless chicken or turkey or lean, smaller portions of beef or pork. Serving size should be no bigger than a deck of cards, they say. I have a hard time sticking to that, so I prefer to put that amount of meat in a stir fry and enjoy it that way; seems to go further! In that mode, try chicken fajitas with grilled onions, peppers and a modest amount of chicken on a whole wheat flour tortilla, smoked tomato salsa on the side (forget the sour cream!).....
    I'm sure others have favourite 'healthy' Egg ideas, but these are what get cooked up at the Qfan Ranch....
    Qfan

• Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thank you! That gives me a lot to digest -- in a good way.

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Options
    birdman,
    Try a large vidalia onion wrapped in foil with a little butter. punch a few holes in the foil (top half) and smoke for about an hour at 300 degrees. You should see the onion start to produce brown syrup when it is done. The finished product is very sweet!
    Jim

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    birdman,
    I know at one time BGE had a vegetarian cook book you should be able to get from your dealer or from BGE.
    To answer your question about food: potatoes, corn, breads, and roasted peppers are excellent from the BGE. There are harvest type burgers that might be worth trying.
    Julie