Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp on Small????

Options
aaind
aaind Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to do pizza on the small ,Burned it ,Ok I got it to 400 plate setter legs up ,used tin pie plate (throw away )
Is the dome temp on small much lower than the grill temp ,I burned it rather fast
I did this at the fair won 3rd place ,was my setter not up to 400 when I did this ??
Thanks

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    when i use the platesetter i usually set it up like this
    101_0359.jpg

notice how there is a gap between the platesetter and the pizza stone... i have had good results with this setup... here recently i have been using something to get the pizza higher in the dome i seem to have had better results

03-03-08001.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Hummmm, should be plate setter legs down, then pizza stone after about 1 hour stabilized at 400-450.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    Well I never did that I just got up to 400 ,but why would it burn then ?? but I dont have pizza stone either
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    because the platesetter is a heat deflector... the platesetter is going to be way hotter than your dome thermometer is reading....

you need to get a pizza stone... or you could proabably lower your target temp.. that would help... but you get to eat all of your experiments so there is nothing really lost if you check it often

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    aaind,

You can probably cook your pizza the way you are doing it, you will probably need to play with your temps.

Your bottom burned most likely because more heat was coming from the bottom than from the dome.

Unless the pizza is pretty thin without much topings it is pretty hard to cook a pizza mostly from the bottom.

It is going to take some playing around for you to find the right temp with the setter legs up.

It might be easier to use the setter lets leggs down. something to give some air flow over the setter and under the surface you are using for the pizza.

Go to walmart and pick up one of those pizza cooking pans, the ones with the holes in them. They are only a couple of bucks. You also have to get your dome warm enough to do some of the cooking on the top side of the pie. A pizza stone is best but the pan is second best and should work.

Without bringing the pie up higher in the dome it is going to take longer letting the egg to stabilize.

You could also get some fire bricks to achive a raised grid.

Just something to think over.

GG