Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results/Brant's beer butt bird

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did two "Brant's Brined Beer Butt Birds" last night, these turn out excellent. I have company from Calif. and they said these were the most succulent chickens they have eaten. A highly recommended recipe. As per the recipe, I brined for 12 hr., rinsed well and patted dry, I used only a little bit of rub on one, wrapped in plastic and left in the fridge for 24 hr., unwrapped and patted dry and back in the fridge to air dry for a few more hr., coated with a mixture of butter and olive oil (thanks Puj) into the egg indirect at 275° for about 1 1/2 hr., wrapped in foil, into the cooler for about 20 min. Had to have time for a cocktail before dinner.[p]Cut the birds up, served with potato salad and sliced cucumber and tomato on the side. I Had finally found the Yellow Tail Chardonnay at Costco, it was excellent, now I see what everyone was talking about. We compared it to Columbia Crest and gave the nod to the Yellow tail, am going back to Costco today for more of it.[p]
A great weekend to all,
New Bob

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    New Bob,[p]You're more than welcome, and most happy to read that your company gave you the 'nod'.[p]This weekend is a bread baking weekend ... doing what I hope is the final tune-up for Eggtoberfest![p]Puj[p]Puj
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks, here's wishing you well with your bread bake tune-up for the fest. Hope it comes out as well as my chickens did.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Puj
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Based on the enthusiam and tone of your posts I'll have a high standard to meet for the breads. That's a good thing.[p]I have three different breads in the works for tomorrow's bake, not counting the pizza dough fermenting in the frig for tomorrow night's dinner. Scheduled to be baked are loaves of:
    - Potato, Cheddar, Chives Soudough (to be baked at Eggtoberfest)
    - Rosemary and Olive Oil Sourdough
    - Multi-grain Seeded Sourdough[p]As of this post time all doughs are behaving appropriately.[p]Puj

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Puj, i look forward to taste your breads. I have been baking breads in a regular oven for many years now. how did you make your sourdough starter ? (mine was made from dark grapes & took 10 days to get activated)

• Puj
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]The starter that I use is the Silverton recipe, which is a grape-based starter culture. On Day 15 I baked bread.[p]See you in a couple of weeks,[p]Puj