Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers + Temp

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What temp do you cook your burgers at on the egg? 400-500?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Yes,I do burgers at 400-425 :woohoo:

020-6.jpg
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    These were done at 450°
    100_0995.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05395JPGx.jpg

Cooking info - 4 methods that have worked for me. These are dome temps. I cook mine a little rare, The recommended internal temp is 160°.

1. 500°-600° direct - cook for 2 minutes, flip and shut vents for 15 or 20 minutes.

2. 300°-350° indirect - cook for 20 minutes, turn and cook until 150° which takes 10 to 15 minutes longer.

3. 350°-400° raised direct - cook about 10 minutes, turn and cook until 150°. If another 10 minutes goes by, turn one more time.

4. 250°-300° raised direct - cook about 45 minutes, no need to turn unless you really want to. Pull off at 150°

Lastly, this is a King-O-Coals 2-hour burger, a 60% burger and 30% sausage mix, cooked indirect at 200°, turned after an hour.

DSC04984b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    That sounds good a burger sausage mix. King O Coals never heard of it is that something you made or bought?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    King O Coals never heard of it is that something you made or bought?

Heheee Neither, (I don't think he can be bought). King-O-Coals is a pioneer of ceramic cooking. I'm certain he's not the only one that mixes sausage into the beef, but he does cook them for 2 hours, so I tagged him with it. His recipe used Jimmy Dean (the stuff we make fatties with) the last ones I cooked I used Italian. You will be suprised by how much of the grease that renders out and how moist they are.

DSC04972b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    cool idea to press the onion in. looks tasty!
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for the replies....cooked at 425. Still having trouble maintaining temps...still fluctuate a bit. Burgers turned out good, but boy did I have some serious flareups. I had to shut the bottom vent completely and close the lid for a bit to tone down the fire. I probably should of had a spritz bottle ready...I'll know next time. Anyone else experience serious flare-ups with burgers? Anyone use indirect to cook burgers?