Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

19 hrs. for 8# butts

FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
edited 6:40AM in EggHead Forum
A lot of first's for this one but the best we have had. Started the butts at 10:00 last night . hit the plateau at 150 internal and held for 3 hours. Never had one let alone both plateau that low. Had dual controls for meat and temp and both were within 1 or 2 degrees. These really barked out nice and were probabaly the best out of all the butts we've cooked.

Ready to pull at 17 hours and 195 internal temp.

101_2176.jpg

cooler'd one and ready to pull this one. Lots of bark for the beans.

101_2177.jpg

Pulled,, These were the best we've had and no idea why they took so long to get to temp.

101_2178.jpg

Comments

• JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Good looking pork, Pat. I did four six-pounders over the Fourth holiday and they took almost as long, per-pound, as yours. Never had them go so long, but they definitely seemed to be better for the long cook.
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Looks great Pat.I bet you got some happy neighbors :woohoo:
  • Buster Dog BBQBuster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Those look pretty good. Must be something with the butts. Last weekend I did 2 eight pounders and it took a lot longer than I wanted. Talked to some other people and they had similar results.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Save me a sandwich and some beans...I will be over in a few...hours...boy those look good... :silly:
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,973
    Pat,

Awesome. Bark is amazing.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ric3677ric3677 Posts: 278
    Great looking butts...I will be doing 4 on the 9th of August...hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Rickyd
  • East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Very nice bark.

What did you use to regulate the temp?

Greg
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Nice Pat!! I'm threw with big butts. From now on I'll stick with the small, firm ones. ;) Two small butts beat one big one any day. More surface area for the bark to develope and we all know that's where the flavor is. If you remember this spring I made a jerk injection and really didn't do much to ramp up the flavor but the smaller butts with a good stiff rub really give more flavor.
  • BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
    Great job Sir. Patience pays off every time.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Eggscellent.

I am 12 hours in to a Butt cook, 2ea 8.5lb-ers.
  • BamaFanBamaFan Posts: 658
    Let us know how they turn out.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    DigiQ with backups
    Gotta be careful around here. If I say small butt the wife Knows I'm not talking abut her. :woohoo: :whistle:
    Thanks Bama. The times were weird but the result was worth the wait.
    Thats usually a 12 to 16 hour cook but like waiting for the wife to get dressed to go out, it's done when it's done :S :S :whistle:
  • Was wondering if you had a temp probe a grill level? Doing a butt since 10 last night and dome and thermapen reading 250 and grill level probe reading 220-215.