Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table and 1st cook

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally able to post completed table with 1st Rib cook. Had some difficulty with the temp, but will learn in time. Ribs turned out ok. They were a little dry and not "fall off the bone." Looking forward to the next cook. Thanks to all those who responded with guidance.

IMG_1615.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Well, they look good. Next ones will be better!
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Some say "fall off the bone" is overcooked. Some think it should have some pull as it comes off, but the bone should be clean.

In any case, those look darn good.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Nice table. Ribs look great. Maybe more time in the foil with apple juice before finishing them with sauce will make them more tender.

On your table: you might want to read this article and check under your egg just to be safe.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    They definitely look nice.

Greg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    A nice new egg + a nice new table= NICE
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ribs look great. I wish I had chose to get the table instead of the nest and "wings". Penny wise - pound foolish! That's a great looking set up.

Don
  • BeerBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions for a 2nd cook? Something relatively painless to work out the kinks. As far as the stone underneath, I used granite. I realize it should be raised a bit higher, but I will monitor it during cooks and adjust to a larger paver stone if necessary.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Second cook: chicken legs on a vertical roasting rack, grilled chicken breasts, ABTs, or cedar planked salmon.

Third cook: T-rex steaks, pulled pork, or pizza.
  • BeerBQ
    Options
    WileECoyote - ABT's look pretty appetizing. Are those things not scorching hot? I love hot food and eat jalepeno slices often, but a half a jalepeno in one bite? I think I may go the appetizer route.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Surprisingly the jalapenos lose most of their heat when you strip the seeds and cores out, then grill them. They come out tasting similar to a stuffed green pepper, very mild. I actually have to add some spices and hot pepper cheese to mine to give them a little kick.

poppers01.jpg
    poppers05.jpg
    poppers06.jpg

Recipe:

Ingredients:
    10-20 jalapeno peppers about 3” long (would also work with pablano peppers but won’t be as tasty in my opinion)
    1 lb. of ground sirloin 90% lean 10% fat (can use ground beef, chicken, or shrimp if you prefer)
    3 ounces of smoked hot pepper cheese (can use cheddar, cream cheese, or similar but the hard nacho style cheese is best)
    1 lb. of bacon (thin or normal slices, not thick cut and preferably not smoked, might need 2 packages if you are using larger pablano peppers)

Prep:
    Cut the stems off of the peppers and then slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and white cores from the pepper halves and rinse clean (this will prevent them from being too hot). Brown the ground sirloin in a skillet and add some mild spices. I used Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy but you can use taco seasoning or something similar. Slice the cheese into thin sticks which are about ¼” thick and as long as the peppers. Fill each pepper halve with meat, top with a piece of cheese, and wrap it up in a spiral from end to end with a strip of bacon. Put a toothpick through the pepper to hold the bacon in place if needed but I didn’t need to do this.

Cooking:
    Light the egg and stabilize it at 350 degrees. Add a few scoops of hickory wood chips. Insert a plate setter, then a drip pan with 1” of water, then the steel grill. Put the poppers on the grill aligned over the drip pan. Close the egg and cook at 350 for 60-90 minutes or until bacon is browned and crispy.

Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes then enjoy. These are awesome and will disappear fast at a party so make a bunch. You can vary the taste by using different spices or cheeses.
  • BeerBQ
    Options
    WileECoyote - Should I get the jalapeño's with or without Salmonella? ;) Thanks for the recipe.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Personally I recommend without the salmonella. I save the harmful stuff for my friends with gassers... :woohoo:

I updated the recipe with cook time of 60-90 minutes since I usually go a bit longer to crisp up the bacon.