Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to buy a wok for my 2 large eggs and would like some input from you pros about size, materal, best place to get them etc.

Thanks,

kim

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    if your going to use it for real stir fries dome open its hard to beat a 14 inch carbon steel wok with a steel handle on one side. if your going to use the wok with a closed dome a 16 inch with the loop handle fits. a spider is a good thing to get to put it on. im partial to carbon steel thin woks for stir frying and use the one with the handle alot, both indoors and out. if its going to be used closed dome with soupy type things in it at lower temps with the dome closed i would consider a stainless one. best place to buy is in an asian kitchen supply, i bought my last two in boston for a wopping 22 dollars total, one was even hand hammered. i wouldnt buy something too fancy, woks were intended to be cheap, you want thin so you can remove it from heat and let it quickly cool down to prevent burning.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Here's the one I use on my medium egg. It works great for AZRP's spicy shrimp.

DSCN3077.jpg

I bought mine at a local store near home, but here it is at Sears:

Click Here

Hope this helps
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    I have bought a couple of woks here, great service. I think 12 inch is a good size. I bought a 16 one and my asian friend chuckled and asked me if I was going to be opening a resturant with such a big wok. Although I use my small for woking, the 12 inch might not fit in the spider on the large.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-hand-hammered.html
  • I got two woks from this store for about $24, a carbon steel and the cast iron. The cast iron retain the heat better but a bit frigle. The handle on mine came off when it was dropped. These are not like the Lodge cast iron and are very thin and weigh about the same as a carbon steel. More often I use the carbon steel because the sides are higher than the cast iron allowing me to move food away from the center to start a different phase of the cook.
  • Nate in SC
    Nate in SC Posts: 21
    I've been pretty happy with the carbon steel one I bought from eggaccessories.com. Also, pick up a spider too if you don't have one. You'll need to get the wok really close to the fire. Here is the link to the one I got:

http://www.eggaccessories.com/shop-script_premium/index.php?productID=140
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Can someone explain the use of the spider to me. Why not just put the wok on the grate? Also, where in Boston did u get your woks?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Wasted Words
    Wasted Words Posts: 161
    The Spider is a perfect fit for the 16" Carbon Steel Wok. Two things the Spider provides 1) since the Wok fits perfectly in the center ring of the spider you don't have to chase a moving Wok while stirring the mixture, 2) it provides you with two cooking levels for the Wok (standard & inverted position).

http://www.eggaccessories.com/shop-script_premium/index.php?productID=140

http://www.eggaccessories.com/spider.htm
  • Nate in SC
    Nate in SC Posts: 21
    The spider allows you to cook much closer to the fire than you could with the grate. When you use a wok you want to get it really hot so this is the best way for using one on the egg. Also, the spider gives the wok a secure fit in the egg because the rounded part will sit in the circle of the spider.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    im thinking it was called eagle kitchen supply but when i went i was looking for two places and i dont remember the name of the other. it was in the china town area and it was a real small place with two isles of just woks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Sold...just bought the Spider and the Wok!
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering