Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP vs Propane

Options
Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While at ACE the other day my fiance want to buy a portable propane torch for her creme brulee.. Don't ask, but aparenlty those cheap little chef's flame wasn't big enough for her.....Anyway, instantly I thought, well, I guess I can use that to light the egg. But I have heard of people using MAPP because it burns hotter. Does anyone know if I can use the propane torch for the same? There was MAPP gas bottle there but not a torch attached to it. Others (not me anymore) use propane to cook their steaks so why not to carmelize some sugar or to light some lump?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    takes longer, but you can. the propane will sputter out when held anywhere close to upside down, too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    Good point. MAPP is LPG, found this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP[/url]
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have never used a propane torch, but have heard of problems with a propane torch when it is upside down like Stike said. I have a Bernzomatic Mapp torch, the TS4000 if I remember correctly, and I light it, lock it, flip it, and it rocks.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Spin borrowed my MAPP gas at one of the fest to do the same thing...Works great for lighting the egg and making
    creme brulee.
    Larry

SpinDaughter.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I thought creme brule torches were butane. Propane has an odour in it so you can smell leaks like natural gas.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use a propane torch. It has a click instant start handle. It does not heat up quite as fast as MAPP but does heat up quite fast. I used to to use the electric starters or starter cubes. Propane is much faster.

You tilt the propane burner to the side versus directly upside down...this keeps it from shutting off...I lit both my large and small the other night going from one directly to the other and it never shut off..it works fine... :P
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Thought you were working there fella. Shut down the Internet and go back to work you did your 9,013 today.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I use propane in a MAPP torch. Have never had it go out, it works great and is plenty hot enough to start lump. My old propane torch would go out immediately when upside down.

Propane is much cheaper than MAPP and I am cheap.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    mapp gas burns hotter than propane, but different torches are rated differently for btu's. a bigger rated torch lights faster, my propane weedburner puts out 500,000 btu's, it will light faster than a little mapp torch. ive used both, some of the propane torches work upsidown, others do not.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Options
    I use propane to light my medium. Works fine you just have to make sure you don't hold it dircectly upside down. Much faster that starter cubes getting things going. You get a clean burn more quickly.

Dave
  • Diego
    Diego Posts: 9
    Options
    I use a 100,000 btu propane weedburner which supposedly produces 2000 degrees of heat. All I can say is that it gets the egg going fast. I've held it upside down and it will not go out...the pressure coming out of the nozzle is intense (sounds like a rocket when it's on full).
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    I first started using the starter cubes, and then went to the starter "squares" that bge sells. I was finally talked into buying the Mapp and love it. It lights quick and last forever. I do have a spare small propane bottle that I will use once the Mapp runs out. Once I use it all up it'll be back to Mapp for me.
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    I have always used a weed burner hooked up to a propane tank. 20lb tank at that. Works fine for me without any problems. I like and it works for me.