Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy and sharp table addition

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I built my table I kept the top dimensions 26 X 58.5 (includes the jetting with the dowel rod handle) so that it would take the large BGE table cover. I laid out the top so as to incorporate a large and a small BGE. Needless to say there isn't much room to sit any plates so I rely on the deck railing nearby. I had seen some pix of tables where guys have extensions on the end with heavy wooden brackets, but I wanted something different - so while the idea isn't new, maybe my solution would be of interest to others due to simplicity and you need not be a craftsman to do it. Here goes - [p]A woodworkers supply company named Woodcraft sells spring loaded folding shelf brackets for $14 per pair. They have a heavy baked on enamal finish and are rated to hold 130 pounds. I then purchased an 18 x 24 laminated hard maple cutting board from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I needed to make only a minor addition of a 2x2 crossbar to my table to accomodate the "wall end" of the bracket which is only 5.25" long. The rail end is 12". To release the catch on the brackets to make them collapse they have a button-like piece to push and down comes the shelf to lie flat against the table end and tuck under the cover. While I doubt I'll ever use it as a true carving board, it makes a classy looking addition which can be kept clean and I know is safe for food vs the treated food of the table itself.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RRP, be sure to keep that wood clean if you ever intend to carve on it. Wood tends to hold on to some of those nasty germs that affect us some times. One suggestion is to lay a sheet of wax paper over the top of the cutting board before using it. While it makes it a little more slippery for the meat, it does protect the meat from the board somewhat.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Wise One,
    As long as he cleans it properly, wood is probably safer than the synthetic cutting boards because the wood contains compounds that are toxic to bacteria. But this only applies if you do indeed clean it properly. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz