Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Update

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
13 hours into a 7lb butt. Temps have been from 250 to 200 the entire time. Butt temp was holding around 171 then dropped to 167 and has remained there for some time. Always scares me when the temp drops down during the cook. There is enough fuel.
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]As meat breaks down the juices flow and temps waver. Avoid 200-220° since it is so close to your goal temp that it takes a long time to get the meat temp there.[p]Tim
  • SmokieHokie
    Options
    Wardster,
    I am a new proud father of a 5.5 lb BUTT. I took 18 hours and was delivered last night at 3 a.m.. It was a tough delivery....the Butt dropped in temp 3 different times...lack of fuel..and I had to scramble each time and add new charcoal. It also got stuck at 161 internal temp, and 181 internal temp. The last 2 hours I had the dome 300 degrees...and I pulled the Butt at 199 internal...as I could not get it to 200. I guess it was a "premie" but it is healthy and sure tastes good. My wife and I had 2 pulled pork sandwiches at 3:00 a.m. with some potatoe salad and hoped that my new little Butt would let me sleep through the rest of the night.
    Wardster, just hang in there and be patient and you will soon be very happy.

• SmokieHokie
    Options
    Wardster,
    Of course....I only added more fuel...because I never started with enough in the first place....My charcoals kepts burning out...and each time I added new charcoal, I only added a few lumps...of course these were all mistakes. But learning how to deliver a BB comes from wisdom and experience and the 5.5 pounder was my first. Next time I will do things differently.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SmokieHokie,
    I always start out with a FULL load of charcoal. Up to the fire ring. Never had to add fuel . . . ever. Thanks to the forum the learning curve is pretty short.