Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought CI grate for the egg and Im looking forward to trying it Thursday night. Ive spent the last 5 years perfecting the art of cooking high temp on a gasser, and have yet to get a steak on my 2mo old egg. :ohmy: I use a 50 50 soy sauce and italian dressing type marinade. I also use a spice called southern flavor that we have here local. Not sure where it comes from. My steaks are always awesome and most of the family agrees that are better than you would get out anywhere. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts and opinions on the best steak marinade or spice. Cant wait to hit that CI with a 2 inch ribeye @ about 700 degrees. :woohoo:

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    w/ a marinade like that i like to add a shot or two jack daniels. ..takes it up a notch! ...although i usually don't marinade ribeyes or other steaks like sirloins or tenderloins. ...the steaks i usually marinade are things like flank steaks, skirt steaks and my absolute favorite, the hard to find hanger steaks. ...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Please tell me you aren't thinking of marinading a rib eye...

No don't tell me I don't want to know...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I wanna hanger steak!!!

Probably get one when I that fresh Salmon arrives...
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm old school. EVOO/kosher salt/fresh ground black pepper. Maybe every now and then Raising the Steaks or Cowlick.

rbeye3.jpg

Mike
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Sorry CW, but yes marinade. :woohoo: Am I still welcome here? :ermm: I do sometimes go without a marinade. I just seem to get a extremely juicy steak using that italian dressing. Keep in mind Ive never been able to cook @ 650 and up. This will seal in more flavor and juices Im sure
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    The juicyness(sp) won't be a problem. I prefer the carwash mike recipe of searing then removing from the fire for a rest and returning for a roast at 400* with lots of DP Cowlick :P Never made a steak so good.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    That would be a Trex, not me.

Mike
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    How bout letting the steaks come up to room temp before grilling? Anyone else do that?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    With steaks, less is more. I'm with you, Mike.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Always. There is a hot tub method as well. Never tried it but heard it was good.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief searing does not seal in the juices. Alton Brown actually proved this was a myth.

Like Max said some steaks are meant to be marinaded. For these usually use a mix of equal parts of Soy, Worcestershire, Balsamic Vinegar with a touch of dry mustard or ground coriander. I add a small amount of EVOO to this to facilitate the marinade.

Ribeyes, Top Sirloin, T-Bones, Fillets, Porterhouses, Prime Rib are meant to savor un-marinaded. A coat of EVOO and a good steak rub like Dizzy Pigs Raising the Steaks. is all that is needed. Fillets will get a dusting of EVOO and cracked Pepper. After the cook a nice bourbon sauce.

While I like the T-Rex mention (High Sear, rest, roast) I have found the Hot Tub method to suit my tastes better. I like my steak extremely rare. The roast of a T-rex over cookes my steak. The hot tub method allows me to get the center of my steak warm, juicy and seared.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Got into a conversation last week at work trying to help a guy out on his steaks. During the talk another guy came in and started preaching about the best way. He said he always poked as many holes as he could and marinated over night! :huh: :huh: :huh: I couldnt believe I was hearing that. LMAO
  • -=mirko=-
    -=mirko=- Posts: 54
    Options
    I'll put a baked potato on for an hour and put the steak out at room temperature during that time. I just put ground Sea Salt and Pepper on the steak. It's just awesome! The CI grate makes a huge difference in the potato & the steak. To me the potato skin is crispier.

IMG_2089.JPG
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    My bad it was the Trex's I got off of Naked's site, I use one of your recipes for something else-bback ribs I do believe.
  • aquabubba
    aquabubba Posts: 25
    Options
    Southern Flavor Rules. It is made in my hometown of Selma,Al. I use it on all my steaks and burgers.
    http://www.southernflavor.com/
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    A guy actually did the poke hole thing into his steaks at a cookoof. The judges were appaled and they all stated that if you cook it correctly, there is no need to tenderize the meat. Hey, to each his own. Not that he is wrong or right. It is a personal decision. Let the meat speak for itself.