Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tip From Mad Max

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sometimes i get bored and start reading diffrent things that have to do with egging.. well the other day i was reading my eggtoberfest 2006 cookbook that we printed off wess or TNW's site when it came out.. (we printed it because it had a picture of kenny on the front of it and we had just met him at the meet and greet and thought the world of him) any way i read this little gem from mad max

The best way to maintain a temp of 350 degrees (a great 'baking' temp) is to start your fire with
bottom and top vents fully opened. ..as you start getting near 300 degrees, leave the bottom vent
fully opened, but close the top vent and only open the daisy wheel so that the little holes are fully
open. .. most large eggs will steady right in the 350 range this way. . . if temps start going up
above 350, then adjust by closing the bottom vent some. . .
--mad max beyond eggdome

i have been trying it for the past several times and it works... i guess we all have our way of doing things but this one seemed like something some of the newer eggers might want to know about

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you know, i can't take original credit for that one. ..i forgot which old egger taught me. ..but it does work good. .. passing the tips down from one egg 'generation' to the next. ..its part of what makes this forum so great. ...thanks for posting it terry :cheer:
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    I'll have to try that, I haven't used the daisy wheel all year, instead cracking the entire wheel to varying amounts.

I am always open to vent adjustment advise as there are times when I can't seem to get my temp to behave.