Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"All I taste is the smoke"

Options
SouthJerseyGrEGG
SouthJerseyGrEGG Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all! I know this is a bit blasphemous for this formum, but my wife seems to prefer regular charcoal over natural lump, saying that all she tastes from the nutural lump is the smoke. We had our egg since June, and until very recently I used the Big Green Egg brand of natural lump. I cooked a pork sirloin this weekend over Kingsford, and if it weren't for the dry rub it would have been a juicey but bland roast. [p]So....is there a way I can tweak my cooking technique using natural lump, my prefered source of fire? Should I be burning the lump for a while until it burns "cleaner". Should I be cooking with indirect heat? Should I put more emphasis on dry rubs and sauces to mask the smoke taste? ( Normally I throw a steak on the grill at 500 F without rub )[p]What else can I say...all taste are differnt. I am in search of a solution that will yield the best of all worlds![p]Happy Egging![p]Greg[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG,[p]One option might be to use one of the brands of lump that is made from flooring scrap. In my testing of different types of lump, I noticed that the lumps made from kiln dried wood had much less smokey smell than the brands made from natural wood, either from the woods or from the lumber mill. There were 3 brands that I remember off the top of my head: Cowboy, Martha Stewart and Whole Foods. Below is a link to my Lump Database. Look around and see what you can find.[p]You will also get more smoke from fresh lump, but I don't see how you can cook without adding fresh lump at least some of the time! But if your wife doesn't like smoke, you may have to settle for rubs, marinades, brines, injecting, etc. Good luck![p]TNW
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Lump Database[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    newegg1.jpg
    <p />SouthJerseyGrEGG, [p]It's good to see another egger from South Jersey on the forum. There is only a couple of us that I know of. [p]As to your question, I think that getting a clean burn first might solve your problem. I think if you get it up to the temp you want for awhile before starting your cook you may get less of a smoke taste. Also don't use too much lump. If you are filling up the fire box and then doing a 300* or so short cook you won't have a clean burn. Try a little less lump, get it burning for awhile and see what happens. I hope this helps cause lump is the way to go.[p]Chuck <><

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG,[p]Preferring less smoke taste is not blaspheny, and I agree with Chuck. Allow your Egg to come to a regulated cooking temperature before starting the cook as it takes less fuel (charcoal flavor) to maintain the cooking temperature than to attain this temperature.[p]BTW, I am also a South Jersey Egg user.[p]Spin
  • Two thoughts, #1 you might try mixing a little lump with the kingsford and come to a happy medium that both you and your wife might be happy with #2 you might try some of the maple lump, I've heard it gives the meat a milder smoke taste. I like LOTS of smoke so I go for mesquite, hickory, and oak lump but to each his own. Keep on smoking!!!
  • SouthJerseyGrEGG
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, Chuck, Gapevine, Spin & all fellow Eggers!![p]Thanks for the great ( and prompt! ) words of advice! I am sure the next cook-out will kick out great food with 'a kiss' of smoke and everything will be just perfect![p]Both the Mrs. and I love our Egg! It is worlds apart from our old gas grill ( R.I.P.) and it turned cooking outside into a true hobby. [p]Using the smoke as an ingredient, and not the predominate flavoring is the best way to go for us.[p]Happy Egging![p]Greg[p]