Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Maiden Voyage

Options
Zeke
Zeke Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received my BGE today and I'm attempting to cook a 6 lbs Boston Butt. Using the forum and lump techniques from Elder Ward, Tim M., and The Naked Whiz all is good. For the past 2-hours, the BGE has maintained a temp of 205. I'm done tweaking the vents and going to bed. Just in case this butt turns out to be science project, I have two more butts on stand-by. I have learned much from this and other forums re BGE and I say thanks to all for posting your comments. Of interest in the BGE manual was the calibration of the BGE temp probe. I'm glad that's one page in the manual that I read because my temp probe was off by 50 degrees or so. I can't wait till it's Q-time.

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Zeke,
    You say you're off to bed, but if you get up for a 'leak n' peak' and happen to read this, I'd recommend a little higher temp; if going direct, 225, or 250 if working indirect. The 200 range is tempting the fates a bit on an overnighter, unless you are up occasionally to monitor things.... If you've let it go, and are reading this in the morning, I hope all is well and temp help steady for you overnight.....
    Qfan

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    P8210034.JPG
    <p />BBQfan1,
    Not to be a smartass, but the first night I got my egg I made some pulled pork at a constant temp of 200 and let the two temps meet...... came out quite well.
    -Joel

• Zeke
    Options
    BBQfan1,No problem. I woke up at 0630 and the temp had risen to about 220-230. Matter of fact, I was suprized because we had a heck of a storm with heavy rains and gusts of wind. First rain in weeks, yippee! The pork has been on the BGE for 11½ hours and the Polder says the meat is at 165. It wont be long now!

• Zeke
    Options
    That is one fine looking piece of pork. If mine comes out half as well, I'll be be doing handstands and doubleback flips (in my dreams.)

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Nothing 'smartass' about your comment, don't worry....I was just pointing out the increased POTENTIAL for problems when running at that temp unattended. Always nicer to hear success stories like yours and Zeke's than seeing someone post under the subject line, 'Fire Went Out, Should Meat Go Out Too?'
    Qfan

• Zeke
    Options
    Just a note to follow-up on my first pulled pork. Damn that was good. It cooked for almost 18½ hours and it was well worth the time. I know BBQ and this was the best BBQ I have ever ate. The meat was moist and cooked to perfection. Typically my wife can eat only one Q sandwich but last night she ate two and said there was no taste of grease. The meat pulled ever so smoothly. Move over Slim Fast I got an BGE.