Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Marbled, Aged & Tender

BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
edited 11:48PM in EggHead Forum
Started off with a 15 pounder Top Sirloin
DSCN3459.jpg

Seared it and then added mustard, thyme, oregano, rosemary, EVOL, S & P, butter, garlic and Rioja red wine
TopSirloin001.jpg

The thunder storm was awesome....rained cats & dogs all afternoon.....fired the egg & put it up to 350 dome, added mezquite wood chips, kept basting the meat & pulled at 130 internal not much chance to take more photos :side:
TopSirloin003.jpg
TopSirloin004.jpg

15 min. rest
TopSirloin008.jpg

True to its label...Marbled, Aged & Tender
TopSirloin009.jpg
TopSirloin011.jpg

Chocolate & cream cake for dessert
TopSirloin012.jpg

It went fast :)
TopSirloin014.jpg

ENJOY!!!
·

Comments

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I've been setting the alarm 30 min. later the last few days just to get alittle more sleep but had to reply o this post I saw up top this morning. OUTSTANDING!!!! The best food pics I have ever seen you post! That last shot is clasic. I just changed our vacation route. We'r heading to Utah via Old Mexico!! ;) :laugh:
    ·
  • CrashCrash Posts: 32
    Good looking food and good looking garden. My egg is jealous. :whistle:
    ·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    absolutley beautiful. i hope you had guests and it was not just your family that devoured that much meat. ;)
    ·
  • OledogOledog Posts: 118
    Beli;
    Absolutely outstanding looking meal! I need to try one of these soon. Would you do anything different?? How long did it take at 350F. Was it direct or indirect?

Oledog
    ·
  • AngieAngie Posts: 25
    I also would like to know more details about how you cooked this. How long ? Indirect or direct? What type of thermometer to you use?

Plants are beautiful. What part of the country is this?
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Beli,
    Fantastic looking meal! That beef is cooked to perfection, the cream cake looks like it would just melt in your mouth. Was that a lemon on your tree? How cool!
    ·
  • TRexTRex Posts: 2,708
    Beli, looks like that hunk o' cow turned out beautifully. How long did it take to get to 130 internal?

Great pics - we could use some of that rain over here!

Cheers,

jason
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Thank you JL, the meat was very tender, juicy and the beefiest?? :) I've ever had. I'm afraid the last pic was taken after the cognac.....but managed to get the cigar before smoking it. All the best!! By the way, most welcome anytime!!
    ·
    Mine is very wet....it's been raining on & off for two days now, a real marvel this eggs if you consider how they take the rain....had to put the umbrella but mostly for the digital temp device. TKS
    ·
    Hi bill, Yes we had 3 more couples and they took whatever little meat was left since we are leaving for Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for a two - week vacation. You know how in a group of friends there is usually one that is or pretends to be a gourmet...well he ate most of it, they set a home record of 3 full Servings each :laugh:
    ·
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Beli,

Excellent meal preparation! I smiled when I saw the umbrella keeping things going.

Thanks!
    ·
    I did not use the plate setter, only the earthware pot on top of the grate, with the wine & stuff in order to keep basting it, so in a way it was indirect, I took some pics inside but came out blurred, the rain was tremendous then. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to be ready. I'll tell you what I would do different: As I said the rain was really on the way...so didn't realize i pushed the temp probe really down so the readings were much higher than they should be, and the alarm went off after an hour or so.....I noticed it & corrected immediately setting the probe in the middle. :whistle: I seared it on an big aluminum turkey pan and that was key to keeping the juices inside. Another thing I wanted to do & couldn't was foil it at the end.....but I'm afraid we did'n notice that had ran out of foil :evil: , still managed to let it rest for 15 min. under the stares of our guests who were very impatient to "devour"it. :)
    ·
  • East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Beli,

That is beautiful.

Greg
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    good stuff, beli. great pics, nice big production. moo-ey impresseevo, as they say in france.
    FWIW, all beef could be properly referred to as "aged", believe it or not.

even the cheap stuff is hung for a few days to as much as a week. but that doesn't look like cheap stuff!

nice spread, by the way. that last pic is a keeper
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    Hi Angie,
    Wrote most of it on the previous post to Oledog. My thermometer is a simple one , the make is "True Temp"& got it at Target. Here is a pic.
    DSCN3477.jpg
    Please let me know if you need any more information. All the best!!
    ·
    Good morning Big'un. TKS. That is actually a minature tangerine, let me see if I can show you more detail of the trees.....here you are
    Ribeye010.jpg

My wife cooks that delicious Chocolate Cream Cake my favorite....the recipe comes from my sister in law.
    ·
    Hey TRex thanks for your suggestions, it came out beautiful. It took about 2 1/2 hrs. although really didn't measure the exact time. Still raining & raining .....thank God we are leaving out tomorrow :cheer:
    ·
    TKS Mike, you know, someone posted a while ago a simple aluminum foil wraped around the cap handle on top (setting the handle vertical & the foil horizontal), but the wind was tremendous, so i couldn't do it that way, even the umbrella had to be more or less attached to the egg.
    ·
    TKS Greg,
    Always liked your avatar :)
    ·
    Hi Stike..."long time no see" :) ...Yes I suppose so, was surprised though they referred to it on the label, will cook it again any time....yes liked that last pic I should have shown the cognac glass full though :whistle:
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    the organic and artisanal (sp?) movements have brought a bunch of foody-sounding words to the party in advertising.

'natural' is my favorite. shows up everywhere.

i like the "hand cut steaks" thing you see everywhere, especially Omaha steaks. thank god for the hand-cut steaks. i hate them damn robot-cut steaks. damn robots are taking over!

as for "long time no see", i frankly post too much here!

that beef was cooked perfectly. did you have any party poopers asking you to cook theirs a bit more? :(
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    That looks great Beli. What was total cook time? It is officially on my to do list now.
    ·
    Thanks Pat, around 2 1/2 hrs....really worth waiting :)
    ·
  • AngieAngie Posts: 25
    Thanks so much. I am new at this. I have not cooked large pieces of meat yet. Did you use wood chips? Some folks have reccommended a thermapen( very expensive ) so we are just not sure what type of thermometer we need.
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    What a beautiful patio garden! I'm guessing that quite a bit of good ole relaxation takes place out there. Definately a great place to enjoy a cigar and some vino. Is your wife going to cook that choc. cream cake for us at Octoberfest this year?
    ·
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    Beli,

Have fun at the beach!
    ·
    I used some mezquite wood chips...sorry didn't mention it before.....I put them in a haste since it was raining so much. I don't have a thermapen just the normal inexpensive digital thermometer from Target
    ·
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sure!!!! she would love to do that...we wanted to go ahead with reservations & everything...but there is not very much information yet??
    Yes is a good place to relax.....Cognac & cigars are usually under the Palapa (thatched circular roof) just below the egg.
    ·
    Noticed one of the wives sort of looking around at first :laugh: but the good comments from most of the friends were overwhelming so she went ahead and noticed she had a second helping....
    ·
    TKS Stanley...see you in two weeks time. All the best!!
    ·