Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marbled, Aged & Tender

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started off with a 15 pounder Top Sirloin
DSCN3459.jpg

Seared it and then added mustard, thyme, oregano, rosemary, EVOL, S & P, butter, garlic and Rioja red wine
TopSirloin001.jpg

The thunder storm was awesome....rained cats & dogs all afternoon.....fired the egg & put it up to 350 dome, added mezquite wood chips, kept basting the meat & pulled at 130 internal not much chance to take more photos :side:
TopSirloin003.jpg
TopSirloin004.jpg

15 min. rest
TopSirloin008.jpg

True to its label...Marbled, Aged & Tender
TopSirloin009.jpg
TopSirloin011.jpg

Chocolate & cream cake for dessert
TopSirloin012.jpg

It went fast :)
TopSirloin014.jpg

ENJOY!!!

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I've been setting the alarm 30 min. later the last few days just to get alittle more sleep but had to reply o this post I saw up top this morning. OUTSTANDING!!!! The best food pics I have ever seen you post! That last shot is clasic. I just changed our vacation route. We'r heading to Utah via Old Mexico!! ;) :laugh:
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    Good looking food and good looking garden. My egg is jealous. :whistle:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    absolutley beautiful. i hope you had guests and it was not just your family that devoured that much meat. ;)
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    Beli;
    Absolutely outstanding looking meal! I need to try one of these soon. Would you do anything different?? How long did it take at 350F. Was it direct or indirect?

Oledog
  • Angie
    Angie Posts: 25
    Options
    I also would like to know more details about how you cooked this. How long ? Indirect or direct? What type of thermometer to you use?

Plants are beautiful. What part of the country is this?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Beli,
    Fantastic looking meal! That beef is cooked to perfection, the cream cake looks like it would just melt in your mouth. Was that a lemon on your tree? How cool!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Beli, looks like that hunk o' cow turned out beautifully. How long did it take to get to 130 internal?

Great pics - we could use some of that rain over here!

Cheers,

jason
  • Beli
    Options
    Thank you JL, the meat was very tender, juicy and the beefiest?? :) I've ever had. I'm afraid the last pic was taken after the cognac.....but managed to get the cigar before smoking it. All the best!! By the way, most welcome anytime!!
  • Beli
    Options
    Mine is very wet....it's been raining on & off for two days now, a real marvel this eggs if you consider how they take the rain....had to put the umbrella but mostly for the digital temp device. TKS
  • Beli
    Options
    Hi bill, Yes we had 3 more couples and they took whatever little meat was left since we are leaving for Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for a two - week vacation. You know how in a group of friends there is usually one that is or pretends to be a gourmet...well he ate most of it, they set a home record of 3 full Servings each :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Beli,

Excellent meal preparation! I smiled when I saw the umbrella keeping things going.

Thanks!
  • Beli
    Options
    I did not use the plate setter, only the earthware pot on top of the grate, with the wine & stuff in order to keep basting it, so in a way it was indirect, I took some pics inside but came out blurred, the rain was tremendous then. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to be ready. I'll tell you what I would do different: As I said the rain was really on the way...so didn't realize i pushed the temp probe really down so the readings were much higher than they should be, and the alarm went off after an hour or so.....I noticed it & corrected immediately setting the probe in the middle. :whistle: I seared it on an big aluminum turkey pan and that was key to keeping the juices inside. Another thing I wanted to do & couldn't was foil it at the end.....but I'm afraid we did'n notice that had ran out of foil :evil: , still managed to let it rest for 15 min. under the stares of our guests who were very impatient to "devour"it. :)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Beli,

That is beautiful.

Greg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    good stuff, beli. great pics, nice big production. moo-ey impresseevo, as they say in france.
    FWIW, all beef could be properly referred to as "aged", believe it or not.

even the cheap stuff is hung for a few days to as much as a week. but that doesn't look like cheap stuff!

nice spread, by the way. that last pic is a keeper
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    Options
    Hi Angie,
    Wrote most of it on the previous post to Oledog. My thermometer is a simple one , the make is "True Temp"& got it at Target. Here is a pic.
    DSCN3477.jpg
    Please let me know if you need any more information. All the best!!
  • Beli
    Options
    Good morning Big'un. TKS. That is actually a minature tangerine, let me see if I can show you more detail of the trees.....here you are
    Ribeye010.jpg

My wife cooks that delicious Chocolate Cream Cake my favorite....the recipe comes from my sister in law.
  • Beli
    Options
    Hey TRex thanks for your suggestions, it came out beautiful. It took about 2 1/2 hrs. although really didn't measure the exact time. Still raining & raining .....thank God we are leaving out tomorrow :cheer:
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Mike, you know, someone posted a while ago a simple aluminum foil wraped around the cap handle on top (setting the handle vertical & the foil horizontal), but the wind was tremendous, so i couldn't do it that way, even the umbrella had to be more or less attached to the egg.
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Greg,
    Always liked your avatar :)
  • Beli
    Options
    Hi Stike..."long time no see" :) ...Yes I suppose so, was surprised though they referred to it on the label, will cook it again any time....yes liked that last pic I should have shown the cognac glass full though :whistle:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the organic and artisanal (sp?) movements have brought a bunch of foody-sounding words to the party in advertising.

'natural' is my favorite. shows up everywhere.

i like the "hand cut steaks" thing you see everywhere, especially Omaha steaks. thank god for the hand-cut steaks. i hate them damn robot-cut steaks. damn robots are taking over!

as for "long time no see", i frankly post too much here!

that beef was cooked perfectly. did you have any party poopers asking you to cook theirs a bit more? :(
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That looks great Beli. What was total cook time? It is officially on my to do list now.
  • Beli
    Options
    Thanks Pat, around 2 1/2 hrs....really worth waiting :)
  • Angie
    Angie Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am new at this. I have not cooked large pieces of meat yet. Did you use wood chips? Some folks have reccommended a thermapen( very expensive ) so we are just not sure what type of thermometer we need.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    What a beautiful patio garden! I'm guessing that quite a bit of good ole relaxation takes place out there. Definately a great place to enjoy a cigar and some vino. Is your wife going to cook that choc. cream cake for us at Octoberfest this year?
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Beli,

Have fun at the beach!
  • Beli
    Options
    I used some mezquite wood chips...sorry didn't mention it before.....I put them in a haste since it was raining so much. I don't have a thermapen just the normal inexpensive digital thermometer from Target
  • Beli
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sure!!!! she would love to do that...we wanted to go ahead with reservations & everything...but there is not very much information yet??
    Yes is a good place to relax.....Cognac & cigars are usually under the Palapa (thatched circular roof) just below the egg.
  • Beli
    Options
    Noticed one of the wives sort of looking around at first :laugh: but the good comments from most of the friends were overwhelming so she went ahead and noticed she had a second helping....
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Stanley...see you in two weeks time. All the best!!