Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire went out during brisket cook

Options
tarheel
tarheel Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking a 12 pound brisket for the 4th and about 13 hours into the cook, my fire went out. I filled my LBGE up with BGE lump to the top of the fire ring. I was having issues keeping the temp above 225 but it never occured to me that I may be out of lump. When I took a peak, there was no lump left. Should I be having this problem? I see posts all the time saying that they can cook 20+ hours without refilling. I appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Did your fire go out, or did you run out of lump?

I always load up the fire box and the fire ring when I attempt a long cook [on my Medium]. I fill that sucker to the brim -- and always have lump left over.

I got a little over-confident a few months ago, decided not to fill to the tip of the fire ring... Yep! Ran outta lump!

I don't have a guru or anything other than my top vent, lower vent and l'il ole moi... so maintaining steady low temps is kinda tough. So, I target 250F and have less problem than if I'm going for anything below that.

~ B

:);):)
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    PS --

When you lose fire [for any reason], put the meat into your litchen oven at target temp. Re-establish the Egg, and transfer the meat back to the Egg --

If you're way into the cook, just finish it off in the kitchen -- won't affect the flavor much.

~ B

:):):)
  • tarheel
    tarheel Posts: 15
    Options
    Broc,

I ran out of lump. I filled it up to about an inch below the fire ring. I guess I could have added a little more. Thanks for the reply.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    It sounds like you were cooking a little hotter than 225*. Have you checked the calibration of your dome thermometer lately?
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    How much lump did you put in from the start?

Greg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Roy???

I have to agree with the hotter then you thought. Plus the lump needs to be up to the level of the fire ring if not beyond a bit and should be fairly well packed. No large open spaces

At 225 dome I would expect it to go out not run out of lump.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you did not have enough lump.

Greg