Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need the basics

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a Large BGE yesterday, my first. I have wanted one for years, but I've got no experience.

I know I'll need to experiment, but I wanted to make sure I understand the basics.

Can you all recommend a good place to reference the basics without bothering everone here?

I'm looking for the basic, first time how-to stuff.

I'm really excited about my new Egg, I look forward to spending time here learning about it from you guys.

Cheers, Erik

Comments

• mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    did you get a dvd with your egg? If so that is a start. Otherwise go to the BGE website and there are videos, etc. Also try nakedwhiz.com. That should get you started.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You'll find a lot of great info here. Check out the whole site. Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions as it's almost a competition to see who can help first.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ewille,

Don't be scared. Put some lump in to the top of the firebox, light it and play with the temperature control. Start with the lower damper open about an inch and the daisy half open. Try to stabilize at 300, don't go much higher for the first couple of times. When you do that throw something on and cook it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Defiantly use the nakid wiz site and WessB has a lot of good info too, there are some others but I can't think of them of the top of my head. Believe me when I say ASK there are 100's on here most of the time and someone will jump in to help. that is how I started a year 1/2 ago and this site is the best. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask :)it is easy to use both the site and the egg. Let the smoke clear before you put on the food, start shutting down before you reach the temp you want. get a good temp probe to check the food itself. that was like magic to me when we got ours. made life much easier and the food is always perfect. Welcome and just ask and post pictures! Julie
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Welcome to your newest hobby.
    Just dump in the lump, open the vents partially, and light her up. Burgers or chicken are always good ways to Christen the new ones.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    You all are great, I appreciate the quick responses.

I spent some time on the Naked Whiz page and learned a lot.

Thanks again for the welcome, I know I'm going to enjoy talking BBQ with you guys. Erik
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cheers guy,

Now get in there and cook something. We like pictures.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON