Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st butt

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my 1st butt, actually I'm doing (2)6 lb. butts. They've been on 20 hours and they're at 170. Are they taking this long because there are 2 of them? The dome temp is at 225-250. Also, I didn't use any liquid in the drip pan. My husband lives and dies by Elder Ward's advice and won't put liquid in the pan.

Comments

• Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Keep it going and be patient, easy to say after 20 hours. Shouldn't matter that you have two cooking. Keep the dome temp correct monitor the meat temp and order pizza. Is your t-meter calibrated?

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Although I go by "they are done when they are done" approach, that seems long. My longest butt cook was 24.5 hours but that was for 5 - 8 pound butts squeezed into a large. Three of them were at 205, while the other two were at 198ish. Drip pan shd not make a difference IMHO.

I would question both of your temp readings. When did you last calibrate your thermometers? Have you tried to move the food probe to different spots in the meat?

And if they are bone-in butts you can try and wiggle that bone...if it wants to slide right out you are likely done. Or you can put a large fork in and see if they are falling apart.

If your temp is really that low then I would give it a couple of hours and then knock the temp up to 275 dome

Hopefully others chime in. That just seems way too long for 6 pound butts !
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    These have been on a very long time for their size. I'm afraid they may be drying out. I'd bump the dome temp to 275 to hurry them along.
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    i crammed my egg once with too many butts and bent the thermometer when i closed it. it somehow affected the gauge so the needle doesn't move smoothly and i have to tap the face of it for it to move. This may have occurred to you as well. the good thing is that it was an excuse to upgrade my thermometer!!
    kurt kowalski
    clarksville tn