Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

roast

Options
Kgbrdh
Kgbrdh Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will be egging a roast tonight but I don't own a v-rack. any suggestions...

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    What kind of roast???

Usually I will go indirect with a platesetter and a drip pan. I will put the roast directly on the grid and cook until 130-135 internal temp..depending on the size & type of roast..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Slap it right on the grid...indirect.

No worries.

Eye of Round:

RawRoast.jpg

RoastBeastSmall.jpg

Prime Rib:

Roasting1.jpg

EndSearing.jpg

DoneResting.jpg

Carved.jpg
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Best put in one word "WOW"
  • Kgbrdh
    Kgbrdh Posts: 17
    Options
    ok , got that . have no acessories yet so the direct method will have to do.
    new ? have a hickory tree but no limbs cut,,, mega amounts of nuts. who thinks that will work? should i use shelled or in the pods and wet or dry???
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I wouldn't use hickory with a roast - it will probably overshadow the beef flavor.

You'll still get a good hint of smoke from the lump.

Just my opinion. If you want a heavy smoke flavor then I would recommend wood chunks or chips (grocery store, home improvement warehouse, etc.) over hickory nuts. Cherry and pecan are about all I use any more.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    You can do a roast direct if you keep the temp modest. I like to do this with pork loin which I cook at about 275. I have also done indirect roasts by putting an earthenware pie plate on the grid and then balancing the roast on a few stainless steel skewers.

You asked about using hickory nuts for smoke. I use the shells of the nuts once they dry a bit. However, I agree with Fidel's comment about hickory being strong. Use a little, maybe half a handful of shells.

Paul
  • jrterrier
    jrterrier Posts: 37
    Options
    I've done roasts by taking the handle off of an old frypan. Put this on the grate in your egg. Then put another grate on top of this (I've used old barbeque grates, but just about anything will work). Put the roast on the top grate. The pan catches the drippings, but they pretty much cook onto the pan, and are not usable as gravy or sauces.

You will love it! I have done pot roasts like this with a very low temp, and taking the meat temp to 160* or so. Makes a nice tender pot roast without added moisture, and no tenderizer either. Same theory as doing a brisket long and slow. Most pot roasts take about 4 hours as they are not very thick.

If you have alder trees like the ones in the PNW, give it a try. It is my very favorite smoke wood. I just toss in a couple of chunks the size of a small womans fist.

Enjoy... I know you will!
    Bonnie in w. WA