Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humidity in my lump?

Options
Willie Lump Lump
Willie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a different process for managing temps when the humidity goes up? I am cooking in Minnesota and the weather has finally changed to summer. Dew point is in the 60’s. Last knight I did what is normally a simple cook. Fresh brats smoked at 300 degrees for an hour. I opened my vents to what normally works at 300 and the egg just sat at 200 for a long time. Is this humidity in the lump? What do you guys do down south
Bring the temp up to dry out the lump and then lower? Kind of frustrated with last night.
If this happens again I might just be getting a weed burner, I figure if it melts ice it well dry out lump
:evil:
TTFN WLL

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do notice some small difference in how fast the temp comes up when it has been really humid, damp, rainy. Altho I suspect the lump is part of it, I think a larger part of the delay is dampness in the Egg's shell. I had one cook early on where tthe Egg was sitting in thunderstorms for most of 3 days. When I fired it up, after about 15 minutes, it began "weeping" all over. Likewise, I had a very slow start one November when it had been drizzling for several days.

I do use a weed burner for start-up, even works when its raining, but I try to keep a cover over the Eggs when it looks like rain for several days.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    We have one gill and one lung on New Orleans to handle the humidity but I have no problems with my lump as related to the humidity. I store my lump in large Rubbermaid containers inside of my table to keep it dry so that might be an answer for you if you only keep it in the bag exposed to the elements.

Jimmy
    Come Visit NOLA
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    We had some severe rain over the weekend here in Tampa and my first cook after took much longer to get to temp and smoked a lot more than normal in the beginning. I think the humidity got to my lump also. The egg did weep around my daisy wheel too. Very weird. I tried storing my lump in a rubbermaid container but got the kind with the latches that secure the top and it leaked like crazy when it rained. I just haven't had time to get one that snaps shut that will fit under my table. does anyone know of a free standing container that is suitable for storing lump and keeping out of the elements?
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Options
    I use a spare large rolling trash container. I used some charcoal in a Weber Mr. Smokey last year that had been in that container for about 10 years. Worked fine, started right up. I probably could have donated it to the Smithsonian.. It was Dizzy Dean's "Ol' Diz" charcoal. Since I upgraded to an Egg, I've been keeping the (new) lump in that container with no problem. I'm about 25 miles north of the mothership.